Prologue. Chapter 1. A fateful decision.

(Play the soundtrack while reading the next episode)

Optimus put away the datapad and leaned back in his chair, ex-venting wearily. The day turned out to be tense today. Another Senate meeting, an inspection of one of the construction sites and, of course, the next court hearing in the captured Decepticon leader's case. The trial, which has been going on for more than a month. People need justice, and the Autobot propaganda makes the other side of the conflict to blame for everything. On their part, the Decepticons are the enemy that must be destroyed completely. Megatron surrendered, thus wanting to end the energonshed... and call the fire on himself.

The last thing that Optimus Prime remembered was how they challenged Shockwave together, then the explosion

The last thing that Optimus Prime remembered was how they challenged Shockwave together, then the explosion... Prime managed to push Megatron aside... and when he came online in the medical bay and a few days later was able to more or less perceive the information, Ratchet told what happened to him.

"That electromagnetic burst somehow repolarized your spark... It began to decay slowly. We do not know how to stop the process... and if is it possible..."

"How much time do I have?"

"Considering the initial power of the charge... at the current decay rate about... from one hundred and forty vrons to one hundred and seventy."

"So little?"

"Another in your place wouldn't last ten."

It was not comforting

It was not comforting. Average Cybertronians could live millions of vorns. Primes and Point One Percenters (special sparks considered a gift from Primus) could even live billions of vorns. Optimus is younger than ten thousands... And now there's so little time left.

"We'll work on a solution," Ratchet promised him. "With proper treatment, it's possible to keep the spark more or less coherent from five hundred to twelve hundred of vorns. Or more."