Anywhere But Here

I've never strictly defined who I am. Perhaps, somewhere in there, that's all very confused. I never like to settle. Maybe that's an attraction to being unpredictable to others. But even more than that, it's who I am that seems the most jumbled.

Sal and I were out in Citadel. He was looking for a sharpening stone. I was just bored. Citadel itself was a confusing mess. There were so many shops, bars, restaurants, markets, and inns that seemed unnecessary. The sheer amount of fae on the streets said otherwise. There was a consistent crowd in Citadel's city center. It was bustling.

I had paused to look over some necklaces a pixie was selling. They were gorgeous and obviously handcrafted. I was looking over a selection of chokers, Sal standing close over me. 

"What if I got this one?" I grabbed a black leather choker with a red crystal shard embedded in the center. 

"I'd be concerned ya were gonna stab yourself in 'he throat," Sal smirked. "Ya wear my necklace all 'he time. Why would ya need another one?"

"Who says I can't wear two at the same time," I shrugged. "Besides, it would offset your long necklace. I think it would look cool."

"'Ow 'bout 'his one?" Sal pointed to a choker.

I picked it up. This one had what seemed like a glass bead in the center that hung down. It was also black leather, and the bead was red though a darker tint than the crystal one. I didn't hate it. It was safer than my original choice, as Salvador had pointed out.

"Excuse me?" I asked the saleswoman. "What jewel is in this?"

"Garnet," she nodded. "A stone of strength and safety. Helps the user with higher-thinking and self-empowerment." 

"Price?" 

"Three Gaellions," she took the choker from me. "I can wrap this if you'd like to gift it."

"I think I'll wear it now," I reached into my sweatshirt pocket for my money to find Sal already handing her the coins.

"A fantastic choice," she ran a cloth over the stone. "I hope it gives you the strength you are looking for."

Sal helped me fasten it. I put my hood back up since the sun was burning my black hair. I wouldn't say I liked it when he bought things for me, but it also felt nice. Sometimes, it was okay to be a bit pampered.

We turned a corner towards where most of the blacksmiths stood competing against one another. We ran into an orange-haired pixie who stumbled back, dropping the box in his hands. 

"I'm sorry," Sal automatically reached to pick up what the man had dropped.

"Maybe you and your girlfriend should watch where you're going," he spat.

"I'm sorry," I scoffed. "Girlfriend? Talk to my boyfriend like that again, and we're going to have a fucking problem."

"Great," he sighed. "Some fucking faeries."

I stopped thinking. Before his hand reached the box Sal had since stopped trying to help with, my knife landed in the ground. He froze. There was another in my hand. 

"So help me," I spoke through gritted teeth, aiming my knife at his throat. "I will kill you here and now, and no one will miss your pathetic excuse for an existence."