o1. tutoring

CALLIOPE STARED AT HER BOOK. Overhearing the conversation going on at Slughorn's desk, she tried to avoid eye contact for fear she would be drug into it.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Malfoy, but you can't and won't pass potions unless you can bring your grade up." Slughorn insisted. Lucius Malfoy, a Slytherin boy in her grade, huffed. They had been at this for almost 15 minutes, the argument going in circles.

Calliope, who preferred to be called Callie, stared at her potions book and did not look up. She had the best potions grade in all of their year and Slughorn knew that. She hoped and prayed he didn't remember she was in this class.

"Ah..." Slughorn smiled. "Miss Bishop. Would you mind to tutor Mr. Malfoy?"

Lucius looked at the Gryffindor in his year. She hated him and he hated her. Calliope Bishop was a very pretty girl, but a mudblood who was very vocal about blood-status equality. Callie looked at him with the same disgust; she hated Lucius Malfoy.

"I will not be tutored by a mudblood." Lucius hissed. Callie rolled her eyes; his slurs didn't hurt her, they simply annoyed her. She was annoyed by the fact that Lucius, and many other young wizards and witches, thought they were superior, or smarter, than those of muggle descent.

"It's a shame that a mudblood has a better potions grade than you." Callie hissed back, flopping back onto her chair and crossing her arms over her chest. Lucius' pale face turned blood red as he turned to Slughorn for reinforcements.

"Be tutored by Miss Bishop or fail. Simple as that." Slughorn insisted, not looking up from his parchment.

Callie got dressed and hopped down the stairs of the Gryffindor common room. "Hello, squirt." She tapped the head of the young ginger first year studying furiously by the fire. Lily Evans.

Callie had taken Lily under her wing and the two had become quite close. Though they didn't get to hang out much, Callie being a seventh year, they still sat by the fire together at times.

"Hi, Callie!" She smiled back. The conversation was quick, Callie wishing she could've sat down and talked with Lily for a while. She dreaded where she was going: to tutor Lucius.

Calliope Bishop was a seventh year Gryffindor. She had spent her whole life, up until her acceptance letter, helping her family on their farm. They lived just outside of London and she had four, yes four, older brothers. She hadn't spoke to any of them since she began Hogwarts.

Molly Prewett had taken Callie under her wing just as Callie had Lily. Being a muggle born witch was hard enough, but when your family doesn't understand, it's that much worse.

Callie spent most holidays at Hogwarts, occasionally she has went home with Molly and her brothers. Nevertheless, Molly was older and had left Hogwarts four years prior. Callie kept in touch with her but she didn't want to pry, Molly was enjoying newlywed life with Arthur Weasley and Callie didn't want to intrude.

The two met just outside the great hall. "Where do you want to go?" Callie asked, her tone was flat, annoyed. Lucius didn't answer, he just kept walking.

"You have to talk to me if I'm going to tutor you." Callie said, catching up to him.

"Stay behind me. I don't want my reputation ruined." Lucius hissed. Callie stopped in her tracks.

"Wow. You know I don't have to do this right? I don't have to tutor you." She stubbed up and crossed her arms, waiting on a response. Lucius stopped, turning his head to one side but not facing Callie. He didn't want this either, but he had to pass potions.