19. ferret

THE OWLS CAME AT BREAKFAST THAT MORNING, as they flew by the twins, one dropped a letter into Fred's plate. "A howler from mum, no doubt." George joked. That was the only kind of mail the twins ever got.

"It's from Charlie?" Fred said, confused. His heart sank. His brother had never wrote him and he feared the worst; did something happen to Willa?

Dear Fred,
Charlie and I have figured out a way for us to talk. I miss you so much, love. Every night when I go to bed, I pray all this ends so I can come home to you. I love you with all of my heart, Fred Weasley. Forever.

I'm okay. I know you're worried. Charlie has put me to work. We live in a small cabin with Thatcher Wilkins and Lukas Bleu; they're nice boys. I have my own bathroom... thank Merlin. One day, when all of this is over, I want you to come see these dragons. They're incredible.

Once again, Fred, I love you so much. Wait for me. I'll be home soon.

P.S. address all replies to Charlie.

Love,

Willa Bishop.

Fred wanted to scream he was so excited; his heart felt as if it was going to explode. The giddy look on his twin's face told George all he needed to know. Finally. A way they could talk, safely. Fred was so content with this letter, he folded it up and safely stored it in his pocket.

Draco watched as Fred opened the letter that had been dropped to him at the Gryffindor table. He was confused why Willa had just disappeared. He knew that Fred had been moping around, which only puzzled him more. Where was she? Why did she leave?

Actually, Draco knew exactly why she left. This was all his fault. Raven hadn't spread her secret, but that was only due to some severe threats from Draco. Draco continued to watch Fred, wanting to see the reaction on his face: was this letter from Willa?

"Hey, Draco." Pansy said, running a fingernail through Draco's hair. Draco shivered at the feeling, breaking his focus from the Weasley. Draco had made the mistake, two years ago, of going to the Yule Ball with Pansy. He couldn't get rid of her now.

"Would you stop?" He hissed and Pansy pouted.

"Oh, come on, Drakey. You know you like it." She tried to say seductively.

"No, I don't. Get off of me." He said, shoving her off. By the time the altercation with Pansy was over, Fred had read the letter and left. Draco cursed underneath his breath.

The only way Draco knew that he was going to be able to get Willa's whereabouts was to confront Fred hisself. Draco did not expect this to go well. He knew Fred didn't like him and after the quidditch match, Draco knew this conversation wasn't going to end in a friendly hug.

"Hey, Weasley! Wait up." Draco yelled, running to catch up with the twins.

"Best not come any closer, Malfoy." Fred growled, not even turning around. "Not unless you want to relive your ferret days."

Draco sighed, reaching out to grab Fred's shoulder. "Hey, I just want to talk." Fred's fist balled at his side, but George touched his shoulder and cocked his head to the did where Umbridge was watching. Fred really didn't care.

"What, Malfoy?" He growled.

"Alone." Draco insisted, looking at George.

"Whatever you want to tell me, you can say in front of my brother." Fred huffed, crossing his arms.

"Fine." Draco sighed, the three resuming their walk, this time, with Draco at their side. "Where is Willa?" He said bluntly.

"Don't worry yourself with-" Fred began to get angry, he had no right to know where Willa went. Honestly, Fred had thought that Draco was actually a good guy. He truly believed that Willa and he could have a good relationship, until he done what Malfoy does best.

"She left." George said bluntly, "she left Fred." It was a lie. Fred knew it was a lie, George knew it was a lie. But, for Willa's safety, they had too.

"Yeah," Fred whispered, picking up what George was saying. "She broke up with me."

"And she left Hogwarts because of that?" Draco asked, not convinced. Willa was too focused on school. She wanted to be a professor someday, there was no way that she left Hogwarts solely because of a breakup.

"Yes. She moved out of the Burrow. Don't know where she went and really don't care." Fred said harshly, the words he said hurting hisself. Of course he cares about Willa, he cared about her more than he did anything else in his life. Fred picked up speed, wanting the conversation to end. George followed, leaving Draco in the dust. Draco watched the twins walk away quickly, still not convinced. Willa loved Fred, for her to just up and leave... something else was going on.

"Alright boys, supper's ready." Willa smiled, adorning the table with the meal she had prepared. She felt much better since she had a way to talk with Fred. She was waiting on his reply, she expected it to be here by morning. Everything Willa had learned about cooking, she had learned from Molly Weasley herself. Her mother, Calliope, couldn't boil water.

Willa had made chicken, roasted potatoes and green beans. The boys came in from a long day of tending to the dragons and their eyes widened as they seen the wonderful meal before them.  "Merlin." Lukas whispered, immediately sitting down and digging in.

"Lukas. What're you, an animal?" Thatcher shook his head, but his mouth watered. The boys hadn't had a good home cooked meal in a long time.

"Thanks, Will." Charlie smiled, kissing Willa on the cheek. He sat down and began to eat as well. After the boys were settled and had began eating, Willa ate as well. "How is it?" She smiled.

"Wonderful." The three said in unison, a mouthful of chicken. 

Willa was content where she was. Of course, she'd rather be with Fred. But, if this is how things had to be, she was satisfied. She was going to make the best out of her situation; over the moon that she finally had a way of contact with Fred.