13. sirius

DINNER WAS AWKWARDLY QUIET AT THE MALFOY HOME. Narcissa stared at her husband, then at her son; something had obviously happened between the pair but she didn't pry. Draco looked down at his dinner and fiddled with his fingers underneath the table, a habit he'd had since he was a baby. Narcissa smiled at her son, so big and grown. Her heart secretly broke for the life they were living, the future Draco was destined for. Nevertheless, that's life when you're pureblood.

"Draco, are you happy to be home?" Narcissa smiled at her beautiful son, he was her greatest accomplishment in life.

"Yes, mum." Draco smiled weakly back, Narcissa noticing a red mark on the side of his face. Lucius noticed that Narcissa seen this at the same time.

"Back talking." He said blandly. Narcissa knew, deep down, that wasn't the case. She loved Lucius, but as someone who had been at the blunt of his wrath before, it doesn't take much when he is already on edge.

He loved Narcissa. He was a good husband. Honestly, she got the better of two between him and her sister Bellatrix's husband, Rudolphus, who was bland and uninteresting. Lucius was a ladies man at Hogwarts, but his end goal was Narcissa. She remembered how he had won her over with flowers and candlelit dinners even through their first year of marriage, Narcissa always joked he was still trying to win her over. When he joined the death eaters, though, Narcissa knew her boundaries.

He had only ever hit Narcissa one time. She was pregnant with Draco. It was during the first war and, she got brave, saying a catty comeback at him when he came home hateful one evening. He smacked her across her face quite like he did Draco.

"Dear, please don't talk back to your father." She said timidly. Draco's mouth opened to speak but closed tightly.

"Yes mum." He whispered, looking back down at his fingers.

Upon returning to Hogwarts, Raven had finally decided to leave Willa alone. Thank God. She assumed it was the rise of Voldemort that distracted her but, Willa didn't really care what the reason was. She was just glad to finally have some peace. Willa waved a small wave at Draco, who promptly turned his head. Willa shrugged, assuming it was because they were in public. She knew they'd catch up in the common room later.

Willa waited up until almost midnight. Glancing once more at the clock, she stood up and made her way to the dorms. As she did, she met Draco. "Hey! I missed you!" She whispered excitedly. Draco looked at her with a concerned look.

"I can't talk to you anymore, Willa." He looked down, his face not meeting Willa's. "Father knows."

"What? How?" Willa's heart sank; she knew this was going to happen.

"He stole my letters. He got to the owl before I did." Draco's voice was shaky, as if he was trying his best not cry. "I'm so sorry, Willa. I should've been more care-"

Willa jerked her brother into a hug. She squeezed him tightly. Draco froze in her grasp; it had been a long time since anyone had hugged him. Draco was stiff in her arms, but Willa didn't let go. She knew it wouldn't only take time. She wanted to hold her brother and let him know that she understood this wasn't his fault, she wanted to thank him for doing his best.

After a few moments, Draco melted into his sister's arms and hugged her back. He laid his head on her shoulder and sobbed. "I'm so sorry, Willa." He cried harder.

"Listen to me." She smiled, terrified herself but wanting to reassure her little brother that everything was okay. She grabbed his face in her hands. "I'll be fine, Draco. Okay?"