24. home

THERE IT WAS. The most beautiful sight Willa had ever seen: the Burrow. It was wonky, built crookedly as the family grew. Willa loved this home and as she stood in snow up to her bare knees, weak from her stay at the manor, she smiled. Willa was truly happy just seeing the home once more. She knew it was Christmas break and the burrow was probably busy. She wondered what everyone was doing inside, what Molly was cooking. She slowly limped her way to the front door.

Fred and George had came to the Burrow and set up shop, once more, on the kitchen table. Molly prepared dinner and prayed the group was lucky this time, she just wanted Willa home safe. "Okay, so.. we've about decided that the manor is where she has to be." Charlie said, addressing the group as a whole. They all leaned over the plan he had drew out, each getting their assignments for the attack on the Manor. They were getting Willa out. Each one of them was so focused on the plan that no one saw the front door open.

Willa smiled weakly as she seen them all huddled around the table. She saw Fred's strong arms gripping onto the edge, pointing out the best possible entrance to the manor with his other hand. Willa was home. She was safe. As she stared at Fred, everything felt okay again. Knowing she was safe, her body smacked the floor, passing out from exhaustion and starvation.

"What the...?" Ron said as the whole group turned around.

"Willa?!" Fred screamed, running past his siblings, Harry and Hermione to get to Willa. She was filthy and covered in blood. Molly ran over as well, pressing her fingers to Willa's neck.

"She's alive. Get her upstairs. Ginny, towels and water please." Molly ordered.

Fred scooped Willa up in his arms and they ran upstairs. He placed Willa gently in the bed. "She escaped." Charlie laughed, not that the situation was funny, but that Willa was such a strong, hardheaded witch. He was proud.

"We need to get her cleaned up." Molly said, ushering the boys out of the room.

"Mum." Fred whispered, "please." He had tears in his eyes, he didn't want to leave Willa's side. "It's not like I haven't seen her naked before."

Molly rolled her eyes and nodded, ushering everyone else out of the room. She and Fred began cleaning Willa's face and brushing her hair; she was out cold. Fred raised her up as his mother pulled her shirt off, it stuck to her back with blood. Willa winced as Molly slowly pulled the shirt off, opening her eyes slightly. Fred grabbed her face and stroked her cheek gently, "you're okay, love. You're safe. I got you." He whispered. Willa gave a week smile before her eyes shut again.

"Oh, Merlin." Molly whispered, her stomach in knots with nausea and anger. She immediately cried when she seen the thick scars on Willa's back.

"What?" Fred asked, still holding Willa up. He looked to her back to see mudblood carved into her back five times.

"She's been through hell." Molly cried. Fred's jaw clenched with anger.

"Narcissa." Willa mumbled.

"What, love?" Fred said, turning back to face Willa. "What did you say?"

"Narcissa saved me." She mumbled. Molly and Fred looked at each other in shock.

Willa slept peacefully upstairs in Fred's old bed. She was warm, safe, and clean. She would eat when she woke up, Molly had already made her favorite: chicken and roasted potatoes. Fred sat in the floor next to her, her hand in his. He traced the lines along her hand and sighed, kissing each finger softly. He was so happy to just have her home.

"Hi." She said, her voice hoarse.

"I didn't mean to wake you, love." Fred whispered, kissing Willa's lips softly. "I'm so glad you're home." Willa could see the tears welling up in Fred's eyes. She placed a hand against his cheek.

"I'm safe now. Narcissa saved me. She got me out." She cried. Fred nodded and brushed back Willa's blond hair. "Don't be mad at Draco." She whispered, "the kid doesn't have a chance. I would be him if it wasn't for my mum."

Fred nodded once more, still stroking Willa's hair. Willa smiled as he did so. "Lay with me." She rolled over so that Fred could lay behind her. Fred crawled into bed and cuddled up next to Willa, wrapping a long arm around her waist, careful not to touch her back.

"I'm okay, Freddie. I'm not breakable." She coughed.

"Im sorry this happened to you, Willa. I'm sorry I couldn't protect you." He whispered sadly. Willa furrowed her brow and looked at Fred.

"Do you know what I seen when I came through the door?" She said, her voice still hoarse.

"What?" Fred said as she turned over to lay on his chest. He played with her freshly washed blonde hair.

"My boyfriend looking tireless for me. You can't say you haven't tried. You look awful by the way... have you even slept since I've been gone?" She scolded.

"Already back at it, eh?" He laughed, she slapped him on the chest. "Where's your locket?" He asked, noticing it wasn't on her neck. She had mentioned in her letters that she never took it off but to sleep.

"Funny story." She laughed darkly, "I took it off for bed. Thatcher came and woke me up and told me something was wrong with Millie." She swallowed hard, thinking about Thatcher and Lukas. "When Thatch told me to run... I realized I didn't have my wand, so I checked my room. I seen my locket and grabbed it and..." she shuddered, thinking about what happened afterwards.

"It was a portkey?" Fred gasped after thinking for a moment. "He turned it into a portkey?" Willa nodded slowly.

"Oh, Will." He squeezed her tightly and kissed her forehead. "I'll get you another." She smiled, laying her head against his chest.

"Thatcher?" She asked, Fred knew what she was asking. Fred shook his head slowly, signaling that Thatcher had indeed been killed in the attack. Willa sniffled hard and began to cry, he had lost his life, saving her's. Fred laid and held Willa until she got enough strength to go downstairs, much to Fred's protest.

"Charlie." She sniffled as she came downstairs, Fred walking protectively behind her.

"Hey, squirt." Charlie smiled, "why are you crying?"

"Thatcher and Lukas." She said simply, her lip quivering.

"Yeah." Charlie nodded, tears forming in his own eyes. He grabbed Willa in a bear hug. "Let me speak for them when I say, there's no other way they would've rather left. They loved you, Willa. Thatcher told me right before he died to go find you. You were like the little sister they never had." Willa nodded against Charlie's chest, not wanting to believe him but knowing Charlie didn't lie. Willa felt extremely guilty that those two wonderful men had lost their life protecting her. She remembered when she first arrived in Romania, nervous. Those three boys took her in and they all became one big family.

Willa knew things wouldn't be the same how that she was home. Narcissa would have to think of a cover story and Lucius would be out to get her. But, for now, she was safe... she was happy.