Chapter 20

"Zinnias serve as a reminder to never forget absent friends. Send them to someone you love who lives far away, for a nice thinking-of-you gift."
____________

"Who is this boy you met, Bom?"

Bom's mother asked, smiling at the boy. Excitedly, Bom said,

"He said his mother asked him to wait here for ice cream and was crying but she hasn't come back,"

The boy, Taehyung, looked down at his feet, his lips quivering as tears welled up in his eyes.

"She told me that she would miss me and then she left. I don't know what she meant but I miss her too,"

Bom's mother's eyes softened and after loads of persuading from Bom, Bom's mother decided that Taehyung was going to stay with them temporarily. After that occurrence, Bom's days living with Taehyung never felt happier with her new friend. Days turned into weeks that turned into years. 2 years to be exact.
Bom was now 7 and was walking back home from school with a flower in her hand, preparing to give it to Taehyung. Specifically, a zinnia. Her mother had told her the meaning behind zinnias before but she had forgotten. She was planning to ask her mother the meaning of zinnias when she saw her mother's dismayed expression when she reached home.

"What's wrong, mom?"

Bom asked brightly with a smile on her face still. Grabbing her hands softly, Bom's mother gave her a soft smile, her eyes glistening with tears as she whispered,

"Bom-ah, not many people want to buy flowers from Mom anymore. So, Mom does not have enough money to raise Taehyung. Therefore, I just sent Taehyung to the orphanage,"

Tears trickled down Bom's mother's cheeks as she looked at Bom's face to see her response.

"What's an orphanage?"

"An orphanage is a place that takes care of children without parents,"

"That's like our house! You took care of Taehyung, like an orphanage!"

Bom exclaimed, her face bright as an innocent smile spread across her face.

"Well, Mom is unable to take care of Taehyung anymore but I will give him your flower,"

Bom's mother promised.