Twenty

"Hudson Walker to the front office. I repeat, Hudson Walker to the front office."

"Don't go." Jaxon grabs Hudson's hand as he moves to stand up. "Please. You know who's waiting there."

"We're at school," Hudson assures him. "He can't do anything to me."

"Then I'm going with you."

"Jaxon." I rest a hand on his shoulder. He gnaws on his lower lip before letting go of Hudson.

"I'll be back." Hudson reaches out and ruffles Jaxon's hair. Jaxon sighs and the two of us watch Hudson leave the room.

"He'll be okay, right?" Jaxon asks, glancing at me. I nod and look back down at my phone.

"It's early in the morning, and they're at school. Nothing will happen."

"I hope you're right."

We sit in silence for a few minutes until Eli and Holly walk over.

"Hey guys." Eli nods at the both of us, then sits on the table next to me. Holly sits in an actual chair.

"I've been wondering something, actually." Jaxon starts drumming his fingers on the table. "Why is it that you can't sit straight in chairs?"

"I'm gay, I can't do anything straight."

"Oh my god." Jaxon and I make eye contact before bursting out into laughter.

"Look what you did!" Holly exclaims. "You killed them."

"All I said was the answer to Jaxon's question." Eli leans over and rests his head on my shoulder.

"Yeah, but-"

"Fucking hell," Jaxon wheezes. "I'm going to steal that joke."

"It wasn't mine in the first place, so go for it." Eli shrugs. I reach a hand up and pat his head, smiling as a growl escapes his throat. "Don't touch me."

"You're touching me."

"I initiated it, therefore, it's fine. Please don't touch me."

"Alright."

"I'm worried." Jaxon drops his head into his hands. "Hudson isn't back yet."

"It's been less than ten minutes, Jaxon. They're still talking."

"Is there something wrong with Hudson?" Eli sits up straight. Jaxon and I exchange a look before shaking our heads. "You really think I'm gonna believe that?"

"He's just worried Hudson's in serious trouble."

"Uh-huh." Eli nods slowly. "I'll believe you for now."

"Maybe I should text him."

"Jaxon." I grab Jaxon's phone from his hand, ignoring his yelp of protest. "It's fine. He'll be back any minute."

His phone buzzes in my hand.

"Is that him?"

"No, Jaxon, it's not."

"You didn't even look!"

"Because I know it isn't him."

"Either look and see who it is or I'm taking your phone and breaking it over your head."

I sigh and tap the home button. The screen blinks on.

"It's from Hudson," Eli says, leaning over a bit. "If he was just in the office it's probably important."

"Thank you!" Jaxon exclaims, taking his phone back. "I'm so glad someone understands me."

"So what does it say?" I tilt his phone screen towards me a bit, only to have him yank it towards his body.