Twenty-three

Warning: talk of suicide, blood

"So this is where I get diamonds?"

"Yep." Jaxon nods, leaning over and pressing a button. A torpedo shoots out of the seamoth and throws a few fish around, making him giggle.

"Don't waste my torpedoes!" Hudson smacks Jaxon's hand away. "I need those!"

"Look, you're at the island," Jaxon says, pointing at the screen. "A diamond!"

"I'm so glad you're here to help me." Hudson exits the seamoth and swims up to the island, grabbing a diamond.

"What was that sound?" I ask, a muffled roar coming through the speakers.

"There's a cave system low below this island," Jaxon explains, twisting around to look at me. "There's some creatures in-"

"Fuck!" Hudson exclaims. Jaxon and I look back at the screen and watch Hudson die to a spindly worm. "Jaxon!"

Jaxon bursts out laughing as Hudson respawns.

"The hell was that?" I lean over and lightly slap the top of Jaxon's head. "You could at least warn us before we have heart attacks."

"It's called a reaper," Jaxon wheezes. "They're scattered throughout the world."

"I'm so done with this game." Hudson tosses his controller aside and leans back, sighing. "I'll play more tomorrow when I calm down."

Hudson's phone starts ringing. He glances at the caller id and decides to answer it.

"Is Jack with you?"

"Hello to you too, Chase."

"Answer my question."

"What's up?" I call, jumping over the back of the couch and landing on a cushion.

"Answer my calls!"

"Sorry, my phone's dead."

"That's really not good!"

"Why'd you call?" Jaxon asks, leaning towards Hudson's phone.

"Jack, go grab your phone."

"How about you answer Jaxon first?"

Chase sighs roughly. I notice a bunch of background noises.

"Eli's in the hospital."

"What happened?" I jump to my feet and jog into my room to grab my phone.

"I don't know what led up to it, but he tried to kill himself."

My phone falls from my hand and hits the floor. The screen cracks. Two glass pieces glint as they hit the carpet.

"Which hospital are you at?" Hudson stands up. "We'll be there as soon as we can."

"Memorial Hospital. Room 14."

"Thanks." Hudson ends the call and looks over at me. "Are you sure you want to go?"

"Yes." I nod, ignoring how my voice cracks. "Let's go."

"Hey, Mrs. Yates." Jaxon smiles at my mother as we walk past her to the door. "We'll be back at some point."

"Where are you three going?"

"Hospital," I answer, shoving my feet in my shoes and throwing open the door. "I'll explain later."

"Honey, you sound like you're about to cry."

"Jaxon, you're driving."

"Jack-"

"I'm not going to waste any time standing around and explaining the situation." I turn around, ignoring the snow hitting my face. "Let's go."