Twenty-four

Warning: talk of abuse

"Hey, Eli." My bag thumps on the floor as I take a seat and grab Eli's hand. "Cameron and Chase are with me. They wanted to see how you were doing."

"It's been a bit, Eli." Cameron straddles the chair next to me. Chase sits in a chair on the other side of Eli's bed. A faint smile graces both of their faces.

"What's up, Elijah?" Chase leans over and places his hand atop Eli's. "The guys and Holly send hellos."

"Everyone misses you." The small smile on my face quivers and falls. "I miss you."

Tears blur my vision as Cameron says something.

"I'm sorry," I blurt, standing up and releasing Eli's hand. "I need to step outside."

"Jack?"

I walk outside and collapse into a chair next to the door, hands templed over my mouth.

"I get it." Cameron sits in the chair next to me. "It's been nearly a week. You're starting to lose it."

"No, I don't think you get it." I resist the urge to stand up and leave. "I nearly lost him and now he won't wake up. I am about to lose someone I care for and I can't do anything about it."

"You're there for him as often as you can be for as long as you can be," Cameron says. "He'll wake up and when he does, you'll be right by his side."

"Yeah." I nod and swallow the lump in my throat. "Okay."

Cameron stands and walks back into Eli's room. I follow close behind. My eyes are drawn immediately to the heart monitor, following the thin green line.

"Cameron and Jack are back." Chase's eyes don't leave Eli's face, a smile in his voice but a frown on his face.

"I'm sorry I left." I sit down and take Eli's hand in my own again. "I didn't mean- I just- I'm sorry."

The three of us fall into silence. Beeps escape the heart monitor. Eli's fingers move slightly.

Eli's fingers move slightly.

"Oh my god, Eli!" I scoot closer to Eli's face, dropping his hand and moving mine to cup his face. "Eli, open your eyes. Please. I know you can hear me. Open your eyes."

A soft groan escapes his mouth. His eyes flutter open and the tears gathered in my eyes start dripping down my cheeks.

"Eli!" Chase squeezes Eli's hand, crying and smiling. Cameron slumps over and sighs in relief. A few tears drop onto his pants.

Eli opens his mouth to say something, then lifts his hand to rest over his eyes.

"Hey, hey, Eli." I reach out and pull his hand from his eyes. His mouth turns down into a quivering line, eyes blank as they study mine. "I'm here. It's okay."

"Do you want anything?" Cameron asks, lifting his head. "Water?"

Eli glances over at him and nods. Cameron jumps to his feet and walks briskly out of the room.

"We missed you," Chase murmurs, moving closer to the head of the bed. "I missed you."

I pull out my phone to text the group. Eli rests a hand over it, then takes it entirely and looks at the screen.

He turns it to show me and points at the date.

"You've been out for a week," I answer. His mouth falls open, then closes. He looks away from me and starts grinding his teeth. "Please look at me."

"I know, Eli," Chase says. "I know what you're thinking."

"No," Eli rasps, shaking his head. "No."