Fourteen

Trigger warning: violence, elements of physical abuse

"Yes, Chase, I swear that-"

"You swear to a lot of things, that doesn't mean that you mean them!"

"I mean it this time!"

Chase starts laughing. "You're telling me that you mean you can swim through Jello?"

"Yes!"

"You're insane!"

"I'm going to choose to take that as a compliment."

"You shouldn't."

"And that's the exact reason I'm going to." I glance out my window, then over at my alarm clock. "I can't believe it's already this dark out at six."

"Welcome to winter, Jack."

"Jack, supper's ready!" Mom yells.

"I gotta go," I say, pulling one earbud out of my ear. "Mom's calling me to come eat."

"Don't try to swim through your Jello."

"Excuse me?"

"You're excused."

"Goodbye, Chase."

"Bye Jack."

I sigh and end the call, then stand and jog upstairs to the dining room.

"Hello, family!" I exclaim, taking my seat. Dad brings out a glass bowl of pasta salad and I smile. "That better all be for me."

"You get to share with everyone."

"But-"

"No buts!"

I sigh and nod, resting my phone on the table next to my plate.

"So how was everyone's day?" Dad starts scooping pasta salad onto his own plate. I open my mouth to answer when my phone buzzes twice. My mother glares at me as I move to flip it over and check the screen.

"What if it's important?"

"We're about to eat," she states. "Whatever it is can wait."

I sigh and retract my hand, instead choosing to pick up my fork and spear a few noodles.

My phone buzzes a total of thirty-two times during a twenty minute meal. Mom finally lets me check my phone, after which I bolt up and jog to the door.

"Hey, I'll be back!" I call, slipping on my shoes. I throw open the door and run out, the door barely latching behind me.

"Jesus fucking Christ, why did you take so long?"

"I'm sorry, I was eating!" I stop at the corner and wait for the truck in front of me to pass. "What happened?"

"Hudson came out to me and I left him because I- I had to think. He told me he was going to tell his family tonight and I got a bad feeling about it so I called him and now he won't answer me."

"Maybe he's just mad at you."

"I wish it was that simple. Hudson doesn't ignore my calls, no matter how mad we are at each other. I need you to come with me in case something goes down."

"I'm coming up to your house now."

Jaxon stumbles out onto the porch, my phone beeping in my ear.

"I'm worried his family beat him," Jaxon says, falling in step with me. "You know it happened when he was a kid, but he won't admit that it's still happening now."