16

I was watching my baby on the monitor. I'm in class but I'm worried about my baby. She's crying and my grandma isn't going to her. "Miss, can I be excused? Family emergency."

"Yeah go ahead." I rush out of the classroom. I call my grandma. "Grandma my baby is crying.."

"I'm not at your house."

"What? Why not?"

"I have something to do."

"Oh my God." I sat on the floor breathing hard. The teacher came out. "Is everything okay?"

"My baby's at home by herself, can I go to Mr. Lawrence class? I gotta talk to him."

"About what?"

"About my baby. I don't wanna call my mom."

"Okay. I'll give you a pass. Hold on." She went back in. I need to get home. She came back. "Here you go."
"Thank you." I got up and ran to his classroom. "Can you come out for a second?"

"Yeah what's going on?" He walked out with me. "My grandma left my baby at home by herself."

"What?"

"What do I do cause mom's at work. I can't leave her alone for long."

"My planning period is next. Do you think she'll be fine until then? Maybe thirty minutes from now?"

"Uh. I don't know maybe but I don't know if I'll be able to take it."

"You'll be fine. Thirty minutes and I'll get you out of class and we can go." I sigh. "Okay."
?
"Ask your teacher to go to the counselors if you need to."

"I might be fine."

"Thanks for coming to me by the way." I walk away.
~~~~~~~
The door opened. Thank God it's Mr. Lawrence. "I need to get Unique out of class. Family emergency."

"Oh okay. Are you coming back?"

"No. I'll be back tomorrow."

"Okay. Well just do that packet and then you'll be caught up."

"Okay."
@11111111
He's driving me to the house. I'm so worried about my baby. "Maybe you should try homeschool."

"I can't. I have Jonah and I've started to talk to some people. Plus I was homeschooled untill my first year there."

"You can still make friends. With the other online people."

"And how many do you think that is?"

"You have a point. No homeschool then. So Jonah.. he's your boyfriend?"

"No. We're just friends. Plus I barely know him."

"Give him a chance though. He's a nice guy."

"Why do you like my mom? You told me before my water broke but I wanna know why again."

"I really love and appreciate your mom. She's special and you know it. You're just a younger version. When you grow up and become a lawyer like your mom. That's what you wanna be right?"

"Yeah. Especially now since I'm talking."

"You'll be the best. Maybe better than your mother."

"I don't know. She's really good."

"Yeah. Anyways. Your mom is really special to me. I know I'm not a successful and rich lawyer so you might think I only want her money. I'm just a highschool teacher. I don't want your mom's money. I beg her not to pay on dates. She's so sweet and loveable."

"Have you did the nasty with her?"

"The nasty?"

"You know. Intercourse."

"Oh sex. No. I haven't tried because I don't want her to be uncomfortable. Just in case."

"Okay. Why were you interested in her in the first place?"

"I..I knew your dad." I look at him. "You knew him or you just know about him?"

"I knew him. I knew him before he met your mom like in highschool."

"So you were around when he got in the crash?" He stopped at the house. "I'll tell your mom that you're home."

"Oh." I got out and rushed inside. Dad and him must've been really good friends...
~~~~~~~~~
"Unique! Come down here!" I go downstairs. "Hi sweetheart."

"Hey mom."

"Keith is outside. He'll be in soon. We have something important to talk about."

"Oh okay." He came in. "Let's sit down. This might change your life and how you think of me."

"Wait mom are you having a baby? No. I don't want a sibling."

"I'm not having a baby sweetheart."

"Oh." I sat down. "Okay well earlier we got to talking about your dad. I didn't answer when you asked about the crash."

"Yeah. I thought it was sensitive for you."

"Sweetheart... I've been lying to you. Remember when your dad just left that one day?"

"He said he was getting me candy but he got in the crash." She started crying. "Mom?"

"Sweetheart. Your dad was a known drug dealer. Like known. Everyone knows him."

"I thought he was a lawyer."

"No. No no. He flunked out of law school. No one but me believed in him so he turned to drugs. He bought you everything you wanted with drugs." I got up.

"Why would you lie to me?"

"Baby..I just want you to be proud of your father because he wasn't really successful. He would've loved it."

"How did he die?"

"Sweetheart..."

"How did he die mom!"

"He didn't..." I scoffed. "You're unbelievable. You guys are both fucking unbelievable."  I ran out the house to my car and just cried. My life has been a lie. I wasted five years not talking because I thought my dad died. They better have the best excuse. Where should I go? I don't wanna stay here. I don't wanna leave my baby. I'll just go in and not pay attention to them. Okay...