12

I'm scared. I don't know where my mom is. It's night. Nothing has happened. No one has said anything to me. I haven't ate. I'm so hungry. I already fell asleep.
~~~~~~~
"What the hell?" I wake up. "Sweetheart wake up." I open my eyes. "Wake up. Come on." She helped me up. "Come on. I'm sorry. Put this dress on. I'm gonna get you something to eat. We gotta go to court."
Court?

"Yeah. Are you hurting in anyway?" I shake my head. "Okay."

I was unconscious for a while but from when I was awake I wasn't in harm's way.

"Oh okay. They have a video so we're gonna see it and I will sue this place. I will get money from the city and we will use it for your baby. Does that sound good?" I nodded. "Okay. Let's go." She walked me out of the police station and we got in her car. "Did you have anything? Your phone? A notebook?"

I was going to school so everything is in my bookbag in my car.

"Okay. I was so worried when I didn't see you at home. I searched the school then I sent out a missing person report then this morning I got a call saying that you were locked up and you had court at nine. It's now eight. So I'm gonna feed you then we have to go."
~~~~~~~~~
I've never been in court before. Do people usually have court dates right after they've been arrested? "Sit down. I'll talk for you."

Author here. Idk how a court date works so don't judge me. Lol.

"Alright order in the court. We have Unique Williams and Officer Bentley Jackson. William you may start."

"I'm gonna talk for my daughter because she's mute. Also I was promised we would see a video of them somehow getting my unconscious daughter in their car."

"She was awake."

"No she wasn't. If she was she wouldn't have been in that cell this morning."

"William, the officer said he found weed in her car. They thought she was high. So they decided to arrest her."

"You serious? My daughter is seventeen years old, why would she be smoking marijuana? She's also with child. I bet you didn't know that before you probably roughly put her in your car while she was passed out. Did you?"

"She didn't talk to me."

"She's mute! She hasn't said a full sentence since she was like twelve. Let's see the video. Now. Let's see it. I wanna see it."

"Okay let's see the video." He changed the tv.

"Uh. She fell unconscious. What do I do?"

"Dude just get her out. No one will know. Let's put her in handcuffs. She looks pretty innocent."

"We didn't come out for no reason. I brought a little bit of weed on me. I'm gonna put it in her cupholder. "

"Oh okay. Let's get her out first." They dragged me out of my car. "Richard, she's pregnant.'

"Who cares just handcuff her. She'll be fine." They handcuffed me and dragged me to the car.

That's why I had scratches on my legs and arms. "You can't defend yourself from that no way. You put marijuana in my daughter's car, arrested her for it, dragged her out of her car while she was unconscious and put her in your car. You were aware that she was with child and your partner said he doesn't care and just handcuff her? What the hell is wrong with this town? It's full of people who don't care about anyone that was opposite of them in any way. My daughter does not a have a disability she's perfectly fine. If this was a race thing I'm getting way more money then I was going to from when you assaulted my daughter and placed marijuana in her car trying to make a pregnant seventeen year old look bad. You guys are all fucking unbelievable."

"Anything you need to say Jackson?"

"Uh. There's nothing I can say. I'm gonna get fired. And sued but I thought I was just doing my job. I'm trying to protect the youth."

"Protect? You ever drag someone else's child from their car? Plant marijuana in their car?"

"I never had to."

"Why? It's because my daughter's a beautiful black woman right? Huh?"

"Why did you make this about race?"

"Cause I believe that's what this is about. What did you even stop her for?"

"Uh."

"Cause your partner said she was innocent. You said you didn't come down there for nothing so you decided to plant marijuana in her car. You pulled her over for no reason."

"Her music was too loud."

"Her music? You don't stop someone because of their music especially when they're on their way to school. I know my daughter and if she's driving she has little to no music on so she can focus on the road. I fucking think we're done here."