25

"Unique?" I wake up. "I'm gonna take you to the hospital okay?"

"Okay." He picked me up. He took me to his car. "What's the boys name?"

"Jonah Moore."

"Okay."

"There were other guys too. His friends.."

"Okay."
~~~~~
I'm at the hospital. They asked if I wanted a teddy bear. Everytime I think about him I wanna cry. Damien came in. "Hey."

"Hi."

"Are you feeling well?"

"I guess."

"Okay well are you ready for a questionnaire?"

"Sure. Did you guys find Jonah?"

"Yeah. He was arrested and so was his friends."
~~~~~~~~
I just looked at the wall. "Do you wanna watch TV Mija?"

"No thank you miss."

"Maybe a coloring book? A crossword puzzle?"

"No. I would like some ice."

"Okay I'll be back with your ice." She walked out. I really want my dad to be here. Damien had to go back to the police station so I'm alone. The door opened. "It's okay if I come in?"

"Of course." She closed the door. "You feeling better?"

"I guess.."

"Oh uh here."

"What is it?"

"Remember when you tried to get into Harris law school?"

"I'm not going."

"Why not?"

"I don't wanna go to college anymore."

"Oh."

"I can just stay with dad. He's okay with it."

"Oh okay sweetheart you don't have to." I turn around. "Mom do you know someone named Damien?"

"Damien...uh. yes he's a old friend."

"He told me a lot about you mom..I won't say anything though."

"Oh." The door opened again. "Oh my God sweetheart."

"Hi dad."

"Are you okay?"

"I could be better."

"I'm sorry." He kissed my forehead. "I got you something."

"Really?"

"Yeah." I open it. "Dad who's dog is this?"

"She's yours." I look up. "Really? You got me a puppy?"

"Yeah. You've never has one before so I decided you should have one."

"Oh my goodness. Thank you dad."

"No problem sweetheart."

"Hi Kevin."

"Oh Janice. Hey."

"It seems like she liked your gift better."

"What did you give her?"

"She got accepted into the school she wanted to go. But then she said she didn't want to go to college."

"Law school? You sure she wanted to go to this? You're always trying to shove lawyer stuff in her face that's probably why she doesn't want to go."

"Now that you guys are arguing. We have some things to talk about." I sat up slowly. "Baby if you can't don't force yourself."

"I'm fine."

"Can we know what happened to you before you start with whatever else?"

"Okay well. You guys both know Jonah. I broke up with him.. because he cheated on me."

"He what?"

"Wait until I'm done. He kept harassing me, trying to talk to me and...." I explained the rest but not without tears. "Sweetheart I'm so sorry." I don't even wanna talk anymore. I keep thinking about it. "You're a horrible father for leaving your daughter for that long."

"Oh yeah? I don't wanna bring up the past but I might have to."

"Guys please don't argue. I'll bring up some things Damien told me."

"Okay what did he say?"

"Okay well...we all know that mom faked dad's death. But you didn't tell me you actually tried to kill him."

"What?"

"They found him unconscious. You were on drugs so I wouldn't expect you to be anything but crazy."

"Who told you this?"

"Damien. Why didn't you tell me this? When you took me from dad you cleaned up?"

"I didn't take you from your dad."

"Oh I forgot he was dead so you had no choice but to have me."

"I drove a hour for you."

"I'm your daughter. You're supposed to."

"I did everything for you. I sued people, I made changes, I bought you things, I learned sign language for you."

"You know why you did that mom? Because I was mute. I couldn't defend myself, I couldn't talk. I was vulnerable. You know why I was mute? Because of you."

"Okay I guess. You really missed your dad and I'm a horrible mom for doing some horrible things that I regret but I wanna work on things. I don't wanna be crazy or a drug addict like I used to. I did clean up so I could get custody of you and not your grandparents. I am supposed to be in jail. I got out of it. I can go turn myself in and you'll be free from me for about ten years. Of that's what you want baby."

"No of course not. I just don't wanna be lied to or have someone else tell me things about my own family. We need to get it all out so we can go back to normal."

"Okay."
~~~~~~~~
When I went back to school everyone was talking about Jonah and me. I wouldn't be here if he wasn't in jail. His friends too. Now I have to watch who I talk to. Prince came up to me. "Are you good ma?"

"Yeah I'm fine."

"I didn't know he was like that well. He would ask me to do something with him but I never agreed."

"I'm not the first?"

"No. Unfortunately. You're the first to ever be that brave to run away and call the police. Jonah is a scary person."

"Yeah."

"Can I walk you to class?"

"Um yeah."

"You a junior?"

"Yeah."

"Alright."

"So after highschool you're leaving?"

"Yep. Been in this messed up town for too long."

"Oh."

"What about you?"

"Well I could go to college early like right now but I don't know if I still want to be a lawyer."

"I think you'll be a great lawyer."

"Thank you."

"Here we are. Sit with me at lunch. All my friends are in jail."

"Okay." He opened the door and I went in. Haven't been here in about a week. "Hi miss."

"Hey. You okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine. I guess I feel better."

"That's good. Is it true that your mom's moving back?"

"Hm?"

"Your mom. She's moving back?"

"Um I don't know."

"Oh."