6

We just got back from the police station. I feel more sick now. I feel horrible. I just can't stop thinking about it... it's on my mind every hour of the day. Every minute I could say. "Do you wanna stop somewhere to eat sweetheart?" I nodded. "Okay. Then I'll drop you off at school." She stopped at the red light.

"Can I not go to school? I don't feel well."

"Oh sure baby. Why don't you feel good sweetheart?"

"I can't stop thinking about him."

"Oh baby I'm so sorry. He's a horrible person. I can't believe I defended him. I'm gonna get you some help." I sigh.
~~~~~~~~
Maybe I should've went to school. I'm kinda bored without Vincent. He's a sweetheart. If I do start talking how would I prepare myself? Like how would that feel talking everyday? The last time I talked I told Brian to go fuck himself which was almost a year ago. I'm almost a senior wow. I'm glad my mom got rid of Brian. He was a horrible person. He almost made her a horrible person. I think I'm gonna go to school. I go to my mom's room. "Oh hi sweetheart."

Mom I'm going to school okay?

"Oh okay sweetheart. Do you want me to take you?"

No I can drive myself.

"Okay. I'll bring you lunch. Have a good day."

You too

~~~~~~~~
Im really late but It's okay. I don't wanna take special classes next year if I'm talking or not. I like being around people like me but I rather be around people like Vincent maybe I can make more friends. I go into the office. "Hi Unique. Need a late pass?" I nodded. "Okay. Give me a second." I look around. I'm realizing that no one other than my mom and Vince have seen me walking. The principal came out. "Oh good morning Unique. It's nice to see you out of that wheelchair." I smile. "Here's your pass sweetheart."

"I'll take you to class." We walked out of the office. "Sweetheart it has come to my attention that you aren't very safe in my school. I'm really sorry for that. I hate that people take advantage of your choice to be mute. If there's anything you need from me so I can help you just tell me okay?" I nodded. I feel like she doesn't do that to anyone else in my class. I think it's because my mom has money. "Here's your class." She opened the door. "Good morning Unique. It's so nice to see you. You look beautiful walking."
Thank you.

I then take my seat. "Hi. I'm glad you're safe."

Thank you that's very sweet.

"Okay class. I'm gonna be passing out your worksheets. It's just to see what you know." She started passing them out. What is this? Multiplication? I'm in eleventh grade. I raise my hand. "Yes?"

"Shouldn't I be learning more advanced things?"

"No sweetheart you're in this class for a reason." I just looked at her and she smiled. "If you're in this class that means you need things to help you. You're not like other students. Your not as smart as the normal kids. That's why you're learning multiplication in eleventh grade." She walked away. I can't do this...
~~~~~~~
I went to the office to pick up my lunch. "Hi sweetheart. Has your day been good so far?" I shake my head. "Why? Who hurt you?" I pulled her out of the office and signed the whole thing to her. "They're not getting away with this." We went back in. "Is the principal in her office?"

"Yes ma'am she is."

"Someone ask for me?" She came out. "How dare you have that teacher treat my daughter like a fucking idiot!"

"What are you talking about?"

"The teacher basically called my daughter dumb. Saying my child is not as smart as the other kids. She might be quiet but she's one of the smartest people I know. She's normal. You people are horrible. There's no reason for my daughter to be learning basic multiplication in eleventh grade!"

"Um. I'm sorry. We should go see the teacher and ask her about it okay?"

"Okay let's see her." My mom grabbed my hand and we started walking down the hall. Oh is that Vincent? He started walking towards us. "I was looking all over for you. I thought I was going to be in trouble." He hugged me. "Hey Ms patrick. What's going on?" She didn't say anything. "Okay." We made it to the classroom. "Oh. Unique... w-whats going on?*

"You called my daughter dumb?"

"Um."

"You said that the other kids were smarter than her? She wasn't normal? My child should be learning like I don't know graphs not multiplication. How many of your other students do you treat like that? Huh? Do you always say that to her?"

"I didn't mean it in a bad way."

"What the hell does that mean?"

"Well she's...in a special class for one..which she doesn't need-."

"Why are you treating her like she needs it then? I kept her in here because she felt safe. You know about that boy that broke her legs? He messed her up. She's so lucky she's not paralyzed or dead. You guys are fucked up. I thought I was giving my child something that could help her but no. We're going home after I unenroll you sweetheart."

Can I eat lunch with Vincent first?

"Yeah of course. My baby wants to eat lunch with Vincent before she leaves."

"Um. Miss lunch is almost over."

"Did I ask that? Come on guys. This will be all over the papers by the way. I will sue you for everything you have. Both of you!"

'~~~~~~'
"So you really wanna leave?" I nodded.

"That's good actually. You shouldn't be in a place that makes you feel dumb and unsafe. This would mean we wouldn't see each other everyday."

"You can still come over."

"I know but it's not the same. Well not really. I wanna be able to walk you to class and stuff like that."

"I'm really sorry."

"It's fine. What are you gonna do now though? Is your mom going to homeschool you?"

"No she's going to be really busy soon since she's been off. Maybe she pay someone to teach me. I'm actually going to have to take this year all over again."

"It won't be that bad."

"I hope so."