128 - Rebecca

I woke up still wrapped up in the warm arms of my boyfriend, whom I was in love with and who loved me. It was surreal to be able to think that, let alone believe it, but my little dream world was being shattered inch by inch lately, starting with the showcase going badly. And now the phone ringing early in the evening when all I wanted to do was lie in Colby's arms in my bed.

Still, my good mood from much earlier had carried to right now, allowing me to pick up my phone without screaming someone's head off... maybe. The number was unknown and I hesitated as I slid back into Colby's hold, staring at the call. If I didn't do something, I wouldn't have the chance to answer it, so I took the chance.

The call connected instantly but no one spoke on the other side. I waited, but there were no words. Just as I was about to say something or just hang up—I wasn't sure what my plan was—I heard a shaky inhale. My whole body turned rigid, my eyes darting up to Colby's face. He was fast asleep still.

After another silent moment, the other person spoke and I couldn't believe my ears. "Ms Woods? Is- Is that you, M- Ms Woods?"

I knew even the tone of that voice. My heart jumped. "Jax," I breathed as I sat up but didn't get out of bed. I glanced at the window to see it was very dark outside—almost nighttime-dark. "I thought you were-"

"I was," he replied quickly. "I am. I've... done something horrible."

"What?"

"I- I don't know why I did it. When I woke up I was all bloody and I felt... thirsty? I'm not sure what for though because I had water in my car. A- And then I went to get some help but then I had, like, a psychotic break, I think?" Jax stopped talking and I realised I was gripping onto the sheets next to me nervously. I'd stopped breathing. "T- They're dead. I killed them." He paused. "REBECCA I KILLED THEM."

"Jax, Jax, calm the fuck down," I snapped. "How did you kill them?"

"With my mouth."

"Do you know what you are?"

"If it starts with v, then yes. But that's... insane, isn't it? That's not... I- I can't be-"

I breathed out a sigh, glancing down at a still-sleeping Colby. This was not what I needed right after we'd finally admitted we loved each other. I wanted, so badly, to go to Tender Greens, but a new vampire in town caused more problems for him than it did me.

And I owed Jax.

"Okay," I said and slipped out of bed, "I can help you, Jax. Are you going to let me help you?"

"I- I might kill you!" Jax wailed.

"I'll bring Colby and maybe some of his friends. They're what you are, too." I was in the bathroom by now preparing to have a very quick shower. If I was honest, I was surprising myself with my need to help Jax, but that was because I knew he'd at least tried to help me and been killed in the process. I was just starting to like him, too.

"Listen, I'm going to need a few things. Send me your location, lock yourself in, and don't call anyone else. Don't worry about the people who helped you: they're dead now, there's nothing we can do."

"But-"

"Just do as I say," I demanded.

"Okay."

"Good. I don't know how long we'll be but I'll try my best to be fast. Oh, and when it gets to daytime, get the fuck away from windows. You won't fry, but you'll be drained of energy."

"Got it."

"Send me your location now."

I hung up on him. A message came through a moment later while I was showering but I didn't look at it as I let the heat soothe the sudden ache in my back. I glanced down at my body, spotting the bruises on my hips from the first time Colby and I had been together. I knew they still bothered him and he tried not to be too rough with me, but a sick part of me liked that they were there: they showed that I had a strong boyfriend, at the very least. And they reminded me of that amazing night every time I saw them.

Wearing only a towel, I rushed back to my bedroom. Colby was thankfully still asleep, allowing me a little more time before I had to be back in bed. With my hair done, I got changed into fishnet tights, a black skirt, and a cropped, black, short-sleeved shirt. I put everything I needed onto my bedside table before checking my phone for the location Jax had sent me. He was fairly close to town, though on the path to the venue for the showcase.

Colby stirred in his sleep and I panicked a little

Colby stirred in his sleep and I panicked a little. I climbed over the covers into bed with him, curling into his chest. His warmth surrounded me, slowly convincing me to forget about Jax and leave him to sort himself out... but something about me had changed and I couldn't do that.

I lifted my head to see his face, my hand raising to his chest. "Colby," I whispered as I ran my palm up to his neck. My fingers tangled in his hair, which felt too soft. He didn't wake up. "Colby," I hissed. Still nothing. My leg moved out into his, kicking him as harshly as I could. He still didn't react. "For fuck sake, Colby. Wake your lazy-"

I was cut off by my own shriek when Colby moved too fast for my eyes to see. One moment I was lying next to him and the next I was under him staring into bright blue eyes—amused bright blue eyes. He leaned down and playfully bit my neck making me yelp. His chuckle vibrated my skin.

"Get off, asshole," I grumbled as I tried to push him back. He didn't sit up but he lifted his head to look at me with a smile. It was contagious. "Ugh, I hate you," I whined.

Colby kept smiling. "I know you do. Why were you waking me up?"

"We have to cut the honeymoon phase short, I'm afraid," I replied, escaping his grabby grip on my hips to slide off of the bed. He sat up frowning at me. "Jax didn't die but he turned into a vampire. We need to help him."

"Need?" Colby repeated. "Why do we need to help him?"

I rolled my eyes. "He tried to help me and actually, he saved me the first time James tried to get at me. Don't make me pull out the card." Colby was silent, confused. "Alright. If you love me, you'll help me out."

Colby's face changed into a glare as he scoffed and turned his back on me to lie back down in bed. I followed him, climbing over his side and forcing him to lie on his back. His eyes were reluctant, but I knew I'd get what I wanted.

"Besides," I added, "I'm going to help him with or without you. It'll be safer if-"

"We're helping him, okay?"

I smiled. "Knew we would. Get up, we're going to the house first."