27 - Rebecca

"Why do you sleep in the day?" I asked hours later, when I was starting to get tired. We had moved since dinner, I now lay on the couch while he squeezed into the space between the cushion and me on his side, hovering mostly over my body. He was playing with the hair on one side of my head, watching me while I watched my TV show. I had lost interest now.

"I just always have" — he was lying — "and I prefer night, so I don't want to sleep through it."

I clenched my jaw. "Tara does too. Is that the same with all of you?"

He nodded.

"Why?"

"We tend to have jobs at night. It's easier if we don't have to jump out of bed and get changed to go to those jobs."

"What are said jobs?"

He shook his head. "Can't tell you that. It's part of the... secret I mentioned before. It's not just my secret, remember."

I groaned. "I can't fucking forget."

He rolled his eyes. "Well, you're going to have to until I can tell you."

"When will that be?"

"I'm not sure..." He trailed off, staring into my eyes. I noticed that his had glazed over with thoughts and didn't want to interrupt. Though I was a bitch, and he'd just annoyed me. "It would be helpful if you stopped day dreaming and answered my questions," I muttered.

"Becks, you're gonna drive me nuts."

"Likewise," I snapped back.

He snorted. "This is so fucked."

"You have no idea."

We drifted to silence after that. I was planning the rest of the night out in my head — and tomorrow daytime, and tomorrow nighttime, when I was going to go to Colby's house with all his friends. I thought about when Jax called me earlier and figured that I should go there rather than staying in the apartment all day. I was trusting Colby.

"I'm going to go to the studio tomorrow," I said quietly. "Daytime. The sooner I look at the dumbass design, the sooner I can tell them it's shit and they can work on something else."

Colby smiled in amusement. "Are they always shit?"

"Always," I groaned. "Except the last designs they all showed me. But those good ones are a very rare occurrence."

"I can't believe you get paid for nothing."

"Um, it's not nothing, asshole. I do actual work."

He raised a brow at me.

"Yelling at people is a lot of work! It tires out my vocal cords. That's worth being paid."

"Mhm."

"Whatever," I snapped.

"How many people do you get to boss around and yell at?"

"Five. Including Jax" — Colby stiffened beside me — "who kind of acts as the spokesperson. He isn't as afraid of me as the rest."

"Jax," he repeated.

I rolled my eyes. "Yes. Jax. Get over it."

"Is he going to be there tomorrow?"

"Most likely," I said slowly, knowing what was coming and hating it because it made me want to throttle him.

"I don't want you to go."

"We don't own each other, Colby — and what's Jax gonna do, ask me out? He's fucking terrified of me, he just has a single ball to be able to talk to me sometimes."

"I don't like Jax."

I rolled my eyes. "You don't know him, and anyway, you'll be sleeping."

He grunted.

"At least I told you."

"I'm not saying thanks."

"I didn't expect you to."

He sighed, dropping his head to my shoulder. I saw him hesitate before he inched his lips closer to my skin. He moved across, taking a breath as he ran his nose along my neck. I shivered. His arm draped over my waist, tugging me closer to him, and he kissed my neck. I couldn't understand why it was so thrilling but it was. I wasn't going to stop him anytime soon. He brought his lips up to the spot beneath my ear, and I moaned. Aloud.

My hand came over my mouth as he grinned against my skin, trailing a hand up my side. He cupped the other side of my neck as he kissed the same spot again. My heart was racing.

"Colbs..." I breathed. He nipped me this time, which felt even better than just a kiss — I moaned freely — and then I felt a prick, right where he was kissing me. I yelped, and he suddenly wasn't over me anymore. He was at the other side of the couch, leaning over the arm away from me, breathing heavy. My hand lifted to the spot beneath my ear, which was a tiny bit wet. I pulled my hand away to see blood.

"I'm sorry," Colby said, not daring to turn around. I was stunned that he'd even managed to break my skin without nipping a lot harder. I waited for him to turn around, but he didn't.

"Colby," I said sternly.

He wouldn't budge.

"Turn the fuck around."

He shook his head rapidly.

"Turn around now or I'll make you turn around."

He still didn't. I groaned and got up, walking to the kitchen for a paper towel. I dabbed the spot just once, and found that all the blood was already gone. "Look at that! Gone! Get over it, for fuck sake."

Colby's eyes slowly raised to mine, and I thought the silver looked like it was overtaking the white and the blue had a hint of purple. Then he blinked and it was gone.

"Are you over yourself?" I growled.

"Yes."

I nodded, throwing the paper towel in the trash before walking back over to him. I sat down at the other end of the couch, staring at him. He was just watching me.

"Why did that bother you so much?"

He didn't answer.

"Colby, you're really going to have to start explaining yourself because otherwise I'm gonna-"

"Can you give me some time?" he cut me off. "To explain?"

"What kinda time?"

"I don't know."

I clenched my jaw as I stared at him. My lip automatically slid into my mouth, and I didn't take it out again. His eyes were locked on it, staring like he couldn't control himself but was trying. Finally, I sighed. "Whatever. I'm not going to forget about this." I nodded to the hallway. "I'm tired. Are you coming?"

He hesitated but nodded and we both stood up. We walked to my room where I saw his backpack sitting in the corner, zipped up. I wondered if he had another change of clothes or not...

"I'm going to change," he whispered, grabbing the backpack and leaving. I walked to my bed and found out my long t-shirt and the shorts I had worn. I threw the shorts aside. What was the point? He would see it all eventually anyway. By the time I had my shirt on, I heard a gentle sound behind me, and then an arm circled around my waist. My heart jumped, my stomach twisting with butterflies. Colby tucked his face close to my neck but not nearly as close as he had been out in the living room. He breathed in, sighed, and tucked in that last little bit. His lips pressed against the same spot of my neck beneath my ear then he settled.

"Do you have another change of clothes?" I whispered, failing to hide the pleasure in my voice.

"I do in my car, I'll get them before I go to sleep."

"Okay."