167 - Colby

My body felt heated. It seemed like, whenever I woke up to my gorgeous girl in bed with me, the temperature hiked up a few notches. Sometimes I forgot that I was cold to the touch because she was making me forget what I was lately. The kind of effect she had on me was the kind of effect I had on her. After all, she forgot she's breakable; killable—much more easily killed than myself. And when she forgets that, she puts herself in stupid situations. I should have never allowed her to go to the feeding house, even if it led to one of the most important discoveries regarding Julian we'd had in a while.

She could've been bitten there, she could've been bitten when she was kidnapped. I hated the thought of sharing her with anyone, especially in that way, and especially with someone relating to Julian.

We killed the guy we tracked down from the feeding house. It was fairly easy to find him considering Rebecca stunk of him for the first few moments I was around her—before I grabbed onto her and held her tight. He showed no sign of having an accomplice, so it was an easy job to grab him, torture him a little bit, then stake him. He basically fell at our feet the moment he saw us.

As I was so lost in my thoughts, I didn't realise that I was gently brushing my fingers through Rebecca's hair. She laid across my chest hugging my waist, her fingers tensing now and then and her heart skipping a beat. She was long asleep, though, making me feel like I had to stay with her. I wanted to stay with her.

However, my careful movements were loud enough that someone right outside my door could tell I was awake and, instead of being a normal person and knocking first, they chose to walk right in. My first instinct when I heard the door was to pull the covers moreover Rebecca. Although you couldn't see anything but her bareback, that was still far too much... even for Sam, who I trusted.

He paused just in the doorway looking at me as if making sure it was safe. I didn't say anything or glare or react, I just stared back at him. My fingers didn't stop in Rebecca's hair, despite his presence. It was more for me than for her.

He gave me a gentle, friendly smile and nodded toward the hallway. "I know you're boss but I think we should all have a meeting, Colby," he told me. I didn't respond. His eyes flickered to Rebecca then back to me, his smile growing larger. "I'll wait downstairs in the kitchen." He zipped out of my room.

I sighed softly to myself, peering down at my girlfriend. I didn't want to leave her in bed at all, but there were a couple of important topics I had to talk about with everyone else aside from whatever Sam had to say. So, reluctantly, I rolled Rebecca onto her own side of the bed. She let out a low whimper, which broke my heart, but she was still asleep.

After putting on some sweatpants and a t-shirt, since I didn't want to hear any comments like "Woah, don't need to look at that, dude" or "Go put a shirt on", I darted out of my room and down the stairs to the kitchen, where I found everyone but Katrina and Angela. I could hear them outside. It was early afternoon, meaning the sun was still shining. They were tanning, I assumed.

"Oh, good, the boss is up," Elton teased as he walked past me, patting my back. I didn't even look at him.

"We have to talk about our jobs," Sam explained, "because I don't think we should continue as normal."

"Why?" Jake asked.

I rolled my eyes. "Leaving the girls here, splitting ourselves up. It just isn't smart, Jake." He frowned but didn't argue with me. "I agree. We have the finances to last us years, so it's not like we have to do any jobs. I don't recall having any booked any time soon, either."

Sam slowly nodded. "So, what are we going to be doing? Staying here until we have Julian?"

"Until we kill Julian," Aryia corrected but Sam didn't react to him, staring at me.