19 - Rebecca

My head jerked in his direction in utter disbelief. 'Or I could come in'?! Was he being serious? After that "argument" about my feelings — that kind of wasn't that at all — and then telling him to fuck off, he thought he could come in?

"You can't be serious," I said, testing the waters. He kept the smile on his face. "What makes you think you can come in?"

"I was only asking. No need to get your panties in a twist." As he said it — and I knew he was going to say it — I felt the anger bubbling up inside me. Anger that was very, very quickly replaced with lust for him. I didn't know why, but I thought it had something to do with the scent of him that suddenly, impossibly wafted into my apartment.

The comment came out before I could stop myself. "Well, they are, and I could do with some help to untangle them."

Colby regarded me for one long second, shocked by what I'd said, then his head turned down the hallway. "Your neighbour just glared at me. Now would be a great time to let me in so I can help you." He winked at me.

I rolled my eyes. "In your dreams." But then, in some kind of trance, I moved out of the way. "Come in, dickhead."

He smirked and didn't waste a second, drifting through my doorway. I slammed it shut behind him.

"You're not helping me with anything," I told him sternly. "Certainly not that."

"Mhm."

I walked passed him to the couch. He joined me, sitting as far away as he possibly could but twisting his body to face me. I ignored him, reaching over to touch the pizza. I couldn't express the relief I felt when I realised that it was still warm.

"Still good?" Colby asked as he reached out.

I slapped his hand. "I don't fucking think so. Hands to yourself. Regarding everything in this apartment — including me."

He grinned as he raised his hands above his head, and I nodded. To my surprise, he kept them there as I gathered a slice and bit into it. If he wasn't there, I probably would have moaned and ate as much of it as I possibly could in the next ten seconds, but he was there, so I had to tone down the crazy pizza fan girl thing.

He still noticed. "You look like I just went down on you," he said confidently, and I glared at him.

"Shut up. I don't know why I let you in, but you're not making comments this whole time. Put the TV on," I demanded.

"Can't touch anything," he pointed out, nodding to his raised hands. I groaned, picking up the remote myself, then tapped both of his shoulders and shoved the device into his hand.

"I hereby grant you the ability to turn on the fucking TV. So do it."

He grinned as he raised the remote. He looked at me questioningly, and I instantly remembered my TV show.

"Go on Netflix and my continue watching."

He did, without argument or hesitation. As soon as the show was on, the atmosphere shifted. Something about being able to just sit with him, eat, and watch a show was pleasant, more so than the arguing and smartass attitudes we both possessed. This was going to be a hard... whatever it was.

By the time I had nearly finished the pizza — with just one slice left — it was completely dark outside. I glanced at the open balcony doors and got an uneasy feeling, remembering last night. I wouldn't let that happen again. I stood and shut the balcony door, locking it before drawing a curtain to hide the outside. I felt Colby watching me — weirdly the same feeling I had last night. I sat back down on the couch and looked at the last pizza slice. I could have eaten it, if I wanted to, but I felt the need to reward Colby for not only getting me to let him inside my house, but also for listening to me. He had shut up and watched the show, and it hadn't been difficult to exist beside him. So I reluctantly pushed the pizza box across the coffee table.