165 - Rebecca

"Colby," Sam said softly, breaking up our moment, "we should go."

I tuned back into the rest of the room, where I realised we were being watched—and by more than just our group. Markus and Harry were staring at Colby like they'd never seen him before, their eyes wide and their movements frozen. Mike, Kevin, Elton, and Corey didn't let down their guard, though, even if they all gave me smirks the moment I glanced at them. I rolled my eyes.

"I know," Colby finally replied without looking at Sam. He brushed my cheek with his thumb sending butterflies right through my body. "Go with Tara back to the house... and just listen to me this once."

I narrowed my gaze. "Aren't you coming?" He shook his head. "Why?"

"I'm dealing with whoever took you." His voice was so deep; so serious, that it was hard to remember we were in a very serious situation. It was like the fucking dam opened up. He let himself smile, just a little. "You're not getting away from me all night," he promised in the same low voice, which made my heart skip a beat.

"Then hurry up," I replied. The silver ring around his eyes expanded for a second before he kissed me lightly on the lips. I felt tingles go down my body in waves, just like the butterflies did. When I realised his one hand was touching my bare waist, I instantly got impatient. I wanted him to go so he could come back to me.

So I pulled back from him, squeezed his shoulder where my hand was, then peered over to Tara. She glanced once at Colby with a gentle smirk on her face before she zipped across the room to me. She took my hand, gave me a short hug, then wrapped her arm around my waist. "Ready, bitch?" She asked.

I rolled my eyes. "Get on with it." All I felt was her arm get tighter then the world became a blur. When we stopped, we were in the red room. A part of me had hoped we might have gone to my apartment, but there was no way Colby was going to let me out of his sight at least for a couple of days.

Being Katrina with an overprotective boyfriend for a few days didn't sound too bad at the moment.

Barely a second passed from when Tara had let go of me to when Katrina, Angela, and Devyn were on their feet. I noticed for the first time in my memory that Devyn hadn't been with the rest of us, and I guessed it was because she was looking after the other two humans.

Katrina got to me first, unsurprisingly. Despite knowing nothing about what'd happened, she dragged me into a hug almost as tight as Colby's. I felt Tara, who was still just beside me, stiffen. "Hey, I wanted to hug her again," she whined.

I rolled my eyes but didn't stop myself from pulling her to join us. She was surprised, though she was never going to pass up the opportunity to hug me, and I knew that. After pulling away from the two of them, I side-hugged Devyn. I didn't go near Angela, though.

"So what happened?" Katrina asked nervously, standing close to me despite our hug being long over.

Tara shook her head. "She wasn't in the basement at the studio, which was where we thought she was. Then Colby had this whole sudden idea that maybe someone had smelt her when she went to the feeding house and grabbed her instead of Julian. So then we went to the feeding house and she was there and she yelled so we could find her easily. Then the two of them had this really cute moment. Honestly, it was-"

"Tara," I snapped.

"Sorry, but you can't say it wasn't cute!" I didn't reply. "She knows it was cute. Now we're just waiting for the boys to get back so Rebecca and Colby can keep us all up again tonight."

Katrina and Angela snorted, but Devyn only smiled. I found myself feeling a little relieved even if I was stuck with some of the worst people to be stuck with. Katrina, a cheerful chatterbox, and Tara, an enthusiast; Devyn was better but she was too shy; Angela was just Angela.

While Tara sat with the other girls and started to chatter about me and Colby—literally, right in front of me—I sat down on Colby's chair sideways and waited for him. I was annoyed that I was missing all the action, but at the same time, I still felt a little out of it from whatever had knocked me out—most likely hitting my head on the floor at the bottom of the stairs. I wanted to know exactly what'd happened tonight and what I'd done wrong... besides leaving the house all alone and getting distracted so I didn't notice it was past dark.

Until we found Julian, I decided I wouldn't leave the house alone; I would listen to Colby and let him protect me. But, as soon as I had my own pair of fangs, I was a free woman. I would make sure of that even if no one else did

After a while of thinking about life staring at the ceiling, I started to feel faint butterflies in my stomach. I noticed Tara grin as she spoke in the corner of my eye and Devyn glanced at me once with her own smile. Putting all of the dots together, I sat up straight in wait.

It felt like a long time passed even though it didn't. It felt like everything in the world stopped when all I wanted was for it to go faster.

But even among all of that, Colby couldn't have arrived at a better time.