87 - Colby

I felt the need to brush off my hands when the job was done. We had been hired to do some dirty work I usually wouldn't do, but I was in a bad mood and we had made this arrangement a while ago. Person 1 involved in this job had hired us to kidnap person 2 and 3–I hadn't cared enough to remember names. We were to kill person 2 to scare the shit out of person 3, and we did that. Elton was particularly hungry, so he was the one to finish the job. Person 3 wailed and tried to fight us—he was an ambitious little human—before Kevin and Corey zipped away with him.

It was a job well done, but I wasn't in any better a mood. I knew exactly who I needed to fix it, and if that wasn't excuse enough, Sam gave me a perfect reason to go to Rebecca's apartment tonight. "I called Katrina and she won't pick up," Sam explained to me across the room—I was in my chair in the red room feeling exhausted and angry and he was on the couch in a similar, agitated manner. "Neither will Rebecca. I think they're both asleep and I haven't been invited in, so I can't go in and get her. I don't want to sleep without her, Colby. Can you go and get her for me?"

"No," I answered coldly.

Tara rolled her eyes. "I could do it. I'm feeling pretty fucking thirsty right now too." I knew she was just trying to provoke me. I knew she would never hurt Rebecca. I knew it was manipulation. But I still snarled at her and got up to run to Rebecca's apartment. I wanted to go there anyway, after all, and only said no to Sam because I'm an asshole.

I heard him coming after me, keeping his distance but following. We flew through LA at the speed of light—much faster than any car ever had. Moving at this speed gave me a thrill, especially knowing who was waiting on the other side. A sleeping Rebecca, most likely in my shirt, sounded like an amazing prize.

When I got to the apartment building, I didn't hesitate to jump on a silver car and launch myself up onto her balcony. All of the lights were off inside, the door shut but not closed. I listened hard for a few moments, hearing the steady, sleeping heartbeats of the two girls from different rooms. Katrina was clearly on the couch sleeping under a blanket that Rebecca had put on her—softie, I thought with a little smile. The other heartbeat was in Rebecca's room.

Sam landed beside me as I carefully pulled open the balcony door. I didn't like that it had been left unlocked, but no vampires besides Tara and I could get in anyways, so I had nothing to worry about there. Besides, I was here to protect her now—not that she couldn't protect herself with an iron fist.

I slid purposely silently into Rebecca's apartment and took the blanket from Katrina. She was only wearing a see-through bikini cover-up that would have, another time, made me interested. But her boyfriend—my best friend—was carefully watching from the balcony and I had a girlfriend of my own lying in the next room. That sort of thing was long gone for me.

Katrina was light as a feather when I picked her up and zipped her to the balcony, her backpack over my shoulder. I managed to give Sam the backpack first, then I handed him his girlfriend. Staying over the threshold, I took a subtle breath in. The whole place smelt strongly like Rebecca in the best way.

Sam looked at Katrina, then at me, then at the dark hallway leading to Rebecca's room. "You aren't coming back with me, are you?" He asked quietly. I shook my head. "Then I'll see you tomorrow night, brother."

I didn't respond as he leapt carefully down to the ground. He was holding Katrina tightly in his arms so he didn't drop her. I found myself watching his blurred figure move until he was gone, then I stepped back into Rebecca's apartment and locked the balcony door this time. I would have to mention that to her after I teased her about covering Katrina with a blanket. It seemed like a little thing, but I knew it meant she cared. About Katrina, of all people.

When I got to Rebecca's room, I found her lying facing the window with the covers around her ankles, revealing all of her legs poking out from my large shirt. She was on her front, one leg out and knee bent to the side while the other was straight. The shirt had ridden up around her hips and gave me a perfect view of her ass. She was not helping the whole control thing. I considered running back home after all.

But I didn't know what happened between thinking that and being dressed in a pair of sweatpants from my backpack then crawling into bed with her. Rebecca didn't even react for a while, lying perfectly still, but she eventually felt my presence and rolled towards me, ending with her back to me. I was certain this was her favourite position to sleep in when she was with me, curled up in my arms.

I had no complaints. I slid my arms around her and pressed up against her back, curling my legs to follow the curve of hers. She smelt too appetising not to lean over and nuzzle against her neck just a little. The scent completely enveloped me, sending me crazy. If only I could tell her the whole secret already. Then, at least, I could ask her to let me bite her and quench this thirst that was never satisfied by disgusting, stale blood bags.

What I'd do to finally fucking bite her right now.