69 - Rebecca

"We're going to your place," I announced as I dropped my fork on the table.

Colby looked at it for a second then at my plate, then down at his own. I watched the realisation hit his face as he comprehended that I had raced him.

"What was the other option?" he asked.

"My place, duh." I smiled. "I miss your bed, so that was my prize for beating you."

Colby stared at me for a second. He was contemplating whether or not to say something. With one little sweep of the area around us, he pulled me close to kiss my temple and speak softly in my ear. "I just missed sleeping in any bed with you."

I blushed slightly, completely out of character for me. This whole day had felt weirdly right ever since Colby showed up in my doorway commenting about my constant absent-minded lip biting. I realised that, even now, as I stared at his eyes, I had the urge to draw my bottom lip back between my teeth. I hadn't realised before.

Colby scooped up the last of his food and looked across the room for a second. He gave the universal nod that, at every restaurant ever, meant we were ready for the bill. I sat there staring at the side of his face as he pulled the cash out from his wallet — unusually filled, like last time.

He put it away and stole one of my hands, holding tightly once more. If nothing else, it felt like we would always be able to hold hands.

We walked out into LA's nighttime and I felt that annoying chilly breeze over me again. Colby didn't seem bothered at all, pulling me along the small sidewalk to the parking lot. I kept pace with him fairly easily as I used the full extent of my legs, which were more of my body than proportional to my torso.

Colby opened my door for me but I didn't get in. I was looking up at his face curiously. He frowned at me a little, silently asking me what was wrong.

"I can feel the bitch," I told him. "She's in there and ready to fight with you. I just don't want her to come out."

Colby stared at me for a moment. I thought I could see the understanding in his eyes. I was sure there were little things that had poked through his good personality and made him annoyed, but he'd kept the asshole at bay, just like I had. It was a matter of time; an exploding bomb.

"I just got you back. I'm not wasting any more time worrying about my own... hot-headedness, or yours. It's stupid of me but I just don't want to think about it. If it's gonna blow up, it'll blow up." Colby shrugged and leaned down to lightly kiss me. "Let's go to my place and beat up my friends."

I had to smile as I slid into the car. "Sounds like a good Friday night to me."

Colby shook his head in amusement. He shut the door behind me and circled to get in his side. Meanwhile, I was reading frantic texts from my sister that I had been ignoring this whole time.

'He almost caught me!'
'I'm scared Becky'
'Be careful for goodness sake!'
Always remember not to trust ANYBODY'

Colby started the engine, almost scaring me to death as I jumped and lost grip on my phone. Something about the messages had put me on edge without realising, and that made me jumpy.

I noticed Colby watching me, concern in his eyes. He knew that I didn't usually jump easy. I gained control over myself, rolling my shoulders and my head. I heard a gentle crack, but nothing so bad that it hurt me — it also wasn't relieving me of anything either. I breathed a heavy sigh.

It didn't take a genius to figure out that we would basically have to go over that same first night of meeting his friends again, and that this time, everything was more intense. The first time, I was the first girl Colby had brought over as a serious thing. This time, I was the first girl he was bringing back for anything.

An image of the faces I would see in the red room flashed through my head. Tara would be surprised, Katrina happy. I imagined Sam would be too because of her and because he was Colby's best friend. Kevin would have something to say — most likely about my outfit knowing him, since this skirt was quite short.

"Wait," I said suddenly, just as Colby was turning a corner.

He swiftly pulled onto the corner, looking  at me.

"I need to get some clothes, for tomorrow. Let's go to my place first and then we can go to yours."

"I have some of your clothes at my place," he replied quietly, as if he was embarrassed about it.

"I know but I don't want to wear the same thing so soon! I have a big assortment of black in my closet for a reason." I grinned, motioning at my outfit. It wasn't entirely black, but every outfit I wore had some black in it. In this case, it was my top. For the first time, I realised it was still a little jostled from when Colby had started to pull it out of my skirt.

I fixed it now and Colby noticed. "I was going to finish the job when we got to my place. Now I have to start over," he said in a mocking whiney voice.

"Hm, you'll have to get me there first," I teased.

"Oh, I will, don't worry." His hand shifted from mine to my thigh and the warmth that spread through my entire leg was intoxicating. I sucked in a sharp breath, almost glaring at Colby. He was 'focusing' on the road as he moved his hand up and down on my skin. I wanted to stop him and encourage him at the same time.

But right now, he was driving me nuts. I carefully snatched his hand back up and kissed it as a disguise. He wasn't fooled one bit.