36 - Rebecca

It'd been a while since I'd woken up in someone else's bed. Even during my anger-releasing episodes, I would be gone long before I even fell asleep. So, really, I hadn't slept in someone else's bed since I used to sleep at my family's houses when I was a child. And now, at twenty-one, I'd just slept at a boyfriend's — sort of — place for the first time... There was definitely something wrong with me. But it didn't matter now, because I could feel the arms circled around my waist and I could hear Colby gently breathing behind me.

He was fast asleep, so I knew that getting out of bed wouldn't be difficult. Although, I didn't want to get out of bed. Why should I? Couldn't I just stay asleep until this evening? Sleep during the day like he did?

My phone answered my question for me when it started buzzing in my bag. I had never moved so fast in my life, throwing my hand into the pocket and dragging the buzzing device out. It was a call from my sister. I growled before answering, though I didn't say anything. I removed Colby's arm from me and slid out of his bed, walking towards the bathroom.

"Rebecca?" my sister asked through the phone sounding worried. What a misplaced tone.

"What?" I grumbled, checking my makeup in the mirror. I still looked presentable, surprisingly, but there was no way I was leaving Colby's place without using his shower.

"Are you alright? You're not at home."

"I don't live at home anymore," I snarled, rolling my eyes.

"No, I mean your apartment."

I froze.

"I've been knocking the door and your neighbour just told me you left last night."

"Which neighbour?" I snapped.

"I don't know, the one with an accent?"

I growled. "She's dead as soon as I get back. What do you want? Why are you at my apartment?"

"Can't I come and visit my sister?" she asked, sounding a little upset. I narrowed my eyes at myself in the mirror.

"No."

"Becca, no need for that. Just come back here, I really need to talk to you."

I groaned and kicked the floor, for all the good that would do.

"I promise you it's not like last time, I just need to talk in person."

"Whatever. I'm not rushing." I hung up before she could say anything else.

I threw my phone on the countertop, cringing at how loud it was, then drifted back into Colby's room. He was still sleeping soundly, his arms left in front of him where I had been. I smiled a little, grateful for the distraction.

After a very pleasant shower, I changed into a black crop top and a black checkered skirt, the stripes white. I added a high pair of black socks and slipped on my ankle boots, as well as a leather jacket I had no idea how I'd fit into my backpack. I spent some time curling my hair and putting it half-up, then I spent a little more time on makeup. I was dragging it out, just to piss my sister off.

When I was done, I threw yesterday's clothes into Colby's obvious washing pile

When I was done, I threw yesterday's clothes into Colby's obvious washing pile. Those would stay here to wear another time — hopefully there was one. I considered taking my backpack home, but I had already planned today out for the most part, and I was coming back here tonight, so I left it. With my phone and keys, I walked towards Colby's door... then stopped.

My car wasn't here. Shit, what am I going to do now? As I just stood there next to the door, my head was swimming with scenarios. I could run into someone who might be awake and ask them to drive me, but I didn't want to do that. I could just steal Colby's car for the day... I found Colby's jeans from yesterday, and — doubtful his keys would be in there — searched the pocket. They were (stupid boys) so I put my finger through one of the metal rings.

Before I left Colby's room, I crept up to him and kissed his cheek. It was a small gesture I didn't know I was going to do until I'd done it. He stirred, rolling slightly onto his back when his sub-conscious realised I wasn't there. I saw his eyebrows draw together before he settled again. I smirked to myself, turning for his door. As he had promised, the rest of the house was sleeping when I came out into the hall. It was strange that a house so big with so many people inside of it even could be silent, but it was. The only sound was after a moment of walking downstairs, when something moved in the kitchen.

I realised there were more moving sounds as I got closer and I crept around the corner to see Katrina wearing only a large t-shirt that definitely wasn't hers standing before a couple of pans, one of which sizzling. She softly swore when she got spit at and reached over for a paper towel to wipe her hand. Then she saw me. She stopped and tried to smile, but I could tell she was nervous I would break her face for it.

Lucky for her, I was saving all of my bitch energy for Angela.

"Hello," I said, my voice stiff.

Surprised, Katrina stuttered. "Uh, h-hi. Or good morning. Sorry, it's..." She shook her head. "It's been a while since I've seen anybody in the morning." She pulled her shirt down to cover herself.

"Same here, sort of." I tested out how a little smile felt on my face. It didn't entirely fail, and Katrina responded to the little half-smile with a dashing grin of her own.

"Good sleep?" she asked, turning back to her pans.

"I'm not a fan of small talk, just to let you know." For once, I didn't sound aggressive or annoyed.

I was sure Katrina took that as a sign not to make me mad in any way, so she just silently nodded at the pans and then to a cabinet.

"If you get yourself a plate, I can give you some of this," she offered.

"What is it?"

"Bacon and eggs."

My brows raised in surprise.

"I like having a good breakfast." She chuckled as she held up one of the pans to show me. It smelt great. "I tend to skip lunch so I kinda have to."

I stared at the tasty food and I just couldn't help myself. Angela could wait; there was no harm in standing outside my apartment a little bit longer. So I walked to the cabinet Katrina had pointed out to me and I found a plate in it. I put it down, only for it to be immediately used. I had an egg and a couple of rashes of bacon; Katrina had the same.

"Come with me?" she suggested.

I just nodded and followed her out the backdoor. She led me to a set of sun beds next to the pool — a pool I had never noticed before — and we sat down on two of them, crossing our legs with the plates in our laps.

And then we just started talking.