Chapter 37 - Foul Mood

Sirana finished out the rest of the week of teaching her combat classes in good form. She had started teaching so late in the school year, so she wanted to accomplish as much
as possible in the remainder. Severus told her that the students would go home during the summer break, and that he would as well. She would stay at Hogwarts for the summer, and she could use the time to better prepare for the next year. She would miss him dearly, but he assured her that they would find time together.
She was hoping that Severus could continue his magic lessons with her. She had so much left to learn. Severus had been distracted recently. There was a sense of a growing threat around Hogwarts that she didn't fully understand yet, although she knew it had something to do with the Dark Lord that Severus had told her about. She tried to keep her own students focused on more positive things—and learning combat skills could work to boost their confidence to better deal with the stress and fear they faced. She really didn't know what to do to help Severus. He would come home late many nights, and was often broody. He was never short with her though—other than sometimes during their magic lessons, and she could handle that. She would be there for him when he was ready to divulge.
|187|

A Soul Undiminished—Severus Snape
Severus entered as Sirana was finishing up the homework he'd assigned her for her magic lessons. She usually tried to finish early so she could work ahead on other aspects of magic that she had interest in. She had learned how to break the paralyzing curse Severus was under that way. Now, he seemed in a bit of bad temper as he greeted her. He looked over her progress, saying sourly, "If you think that my lesson plan isn't adequate for you, perhaps you should look for another teacher."
She stepped back as if he'd struck her. "You never told me that I was limited to learning only what you teach me. I'm always sure to finish what you've assigned before I pursue subjects of my own interests. Not to mention what I've picked up in my free time has come in handy on at least on one occasion," Sirana said defiantly. She wasn't much of a cusser, otherwise she would tell him what he could go do with himself.
Before she said something they might both regret, she turned on her heel and went into her own rooms. She stopped short of locking the door, since she was never the kind to be spiteful. She did, however, feel like she could spit fire. She tried not to take what he'd said to heart. Some things said weren't worth dwelling on unless they actually came to fruition. For now, she would let it be.
She worked on preparing her lesson plan for next week, finding something else to focus on. She suddenly heard banging and crashing that sounded like objects being thrown around Severus's room and realized that the silencing spells did not block sound between their adjoining rooms. Unless she heard screaming or a cry for help, she'd be damned if she was going
|188|

Foul Mood
to go check to see what it was. Perhaps since she'd left, he'd resorted to taking his temper tantrum out on inanimate objects instead of her. She hadn't eaten dinner, but she didn't have an appetite. She poured herself a glass of wine instead and donned her bedclothes. Maybe some light reading before bed would soothe her spirit.
Severus could kick himself. He was such an idiot. The events of the week had set him on edge, and he had taken it out on the last person who deserved it. As soon as the words had left his mouth, he'd regretted them. He was glad to see that she hadn't withered or cried. That would have done him in. It was bad enough as it was. He poured himself a few glasses of brandy and sulked a bit before getting so angry with himself that he took it out on his room. He was one to preach about controlling one's emotions. He ran his hand through his long black hair. He needed to focus. Things seemed out of his control, and his dread of what was happening with Voldemort threatened to get the best of him. He would not let the darkness extinguish the only light in his bleak world. He used a spell to set his room right and headed to see if it was too late to make amends.
He knocked softly on the door without testing to see if she had locked him out.
"Come in," he heard, and the tightness in his stomach eased a little. She was in her bed with a glass of wine and a book. He entered and stood in the doorway, not yet sure of his welcome.
"I said you could come in. You don't need to hover on the periphery," she said shortly. He took that to mean she was open to reconciliation. He walked in slowly and moved to sit on the
|189|

A Soul Undiminished—Severus Snape
edge of her bed. He leaned towards her slightly, and she put her book down and finally looked at him.
"Is it too late to retract my earlier statement? If so, I will be forced to apologize for it," he said evenly, testing the waters. He was pleased to see a smile turn up the corners of her lovely lips.
"Can I get a written retraction? Otherwise, an apology might be more suitable for mending the injury," she replied. He knew she was partly joking, but he accepted his penance willingly.
He rose to go to her desk and began writing. She patiently waited, and he thought she was probably curious to see her request put into written word. He returned to sit on her bed and handed her the letter. She read the letter before looking up at him, and he noticed her eyes were misty.
"Severus," she said softly, "This is beautiful. Thank you."
He smiled tenderly, "I mean every word. A friend once said that words can be powerful weapons, and I swear that I will try to never use them to harm you again."
Sirana folded the letter he'd written her and put it in the drawer of her nightstand. "It is forgotten, then. And yes, I think you are more than an adequate teacher. I will do as you say if you wish me to follow stricter study parameters, because you have never been unfair to me. But I would like you to consider that the more capable I am, the more valuable in the future I could be. As far as I'm concerned, this is my home now, and I will defend it with my life," she said with a conviction that he could see mirrored in her eyes. He let his mental connection with her
|190|

Foul Mood
deepen until she could see his complete trust in her, as well as his admiration for a passion that he too shared.
"Have you eaten?" he asked. "It's not too late in the evening to break bread."
She smiled and rose to put on her robe. "It's never too late, Severus," she said, taking his arm.