Chapter 22 - Grandfather

Severus dressed as quietly as he could, hearing Sirana snoring lightly, not wanting to wake her. As he buttoned up his jacket, he looked over to her, and saw her quietly watching him, smiling like the cat that just ate the mouse. "I hope you slept well," he said, walking over to the side of the bed. "Yes, I slept wonderfully, thank you. And you?" she asked in return. "I've never slept so well," he said, reaching down to lightly brush her cheek with the back of his fingers. He looked at her lovely face, her body wrapped up to the chin in the blankets, seeing no worries in her eyes. He wished things could stay like this forever, untouched by the events transpiring outside of this room. Severus wondered if he could keep her happy, contented to wait for him to come home to her every day. He knew that wouldn't be fair to her. He was sure that her current contentment was from the sense of safety from the dangers she had already found, and maybe even gratitude from his unwitting rescue of her from Lucius. He had seen and felt the fire within her. Eventually she would want to continue her own life, whatever life she chose. He could only hope that he would be in her future. The spells he placed on his rooms were undetectable, yet powerful, but there were still risks. As long as Lucius knew of her existence, there were considerations he must address, and his tone became more serious, "You must know by now that you are not my prisoner... however, I must ask that you do not leave these rooms... at least for now. There are dangers outside of these walls that you have only had a glimpse of. There are events already set into motion in which I am grievously intwined." Severus's eyes darkened, and he said with a fierceness, "I will not see you wounded by my complicity." He felt this into his soul. He would die to protect her... even kill. He did not say the words, but he felt in her mind that she knew this to be true into the depth of her as well. Severus felt something else, almost unexpected... Sirana's own resolve to protect him with all that she is, and the hard iron strength of her that steeled them, combining with his own to safeguard against any who would try to challenge their defenses. Severus thought of Albus Dumbledore's prophetic words, "You know that there is no path that is before you that would bring a favorable ending."  Yes, he knew...but he also knew that even unto death, they would not be brought asunder. He had never felt so sure of anything, and he strode boldly towards his course.

Severus left the midday meal early again this afternoon. He knew he could not risk raising suspicion by returning to his rooms, so he had set out plenty of food for Sirana for the day. Instead he headed to the library. He had a hunch, something he could not drag to the front of his mind, and he thought the library might hold some clues. Cadogen...that name. He didn't want to ask around and risk opening inquiries as to why he wanted to know. He couldn't even trust to ask Dumbledore until he knew more. Severus searched in the section that held books on the history of Hogwarts. It took all of his lunch time and almost all of the period following. He'd scanned through book after book, making sure to put each back in its place so that no one could follow up and find a trail of his research. He finally found it. It was in a yearbook that went back to midcentury. There he was, his picture alongside his name, sitting in his teaching robes with his hand placed atop an ornate globe...Professor Kane Cadogen. His sandy blonde hair spilled out from under his hat.  His goatee was long and braided. Most telling of all, his blazing blue eyes sparkled with each movement of the picture. Severus felt a heavy stone settle in to the pit of his stomach. It was but one piece of her puzzle, but the implications shook him. He followed the lead and found that professor Cadogen had held the post of Professor of History of Magic. He was a major player in the First Wizarding War, until the mid 70's, when he was replaced by Professor Binns. He was noted as leading a victorious battle during the war, but there was nothing he could find about his departure from Hogwarts. Curious indeed, he thought. If Professor Cadogen was truly Sirana's grandfather, she was more than who she appeared to be. It was confirmation of what he had felt since he had found her.  There were signs that he hadn't fully explored, not suspecting a revelation of this degree of significance.  Severus touched at the thread connecting them still. They were joined, a bond that was greater than any connection attainable from a non magic muggle. He would consider going to Professor Dumbledore, but not as of yet. He had put Lily in Dumbledore's trust, and he has lost her. The thought of losing Sirana was gut wrenching. There was truth about Severus Snape that was unknown to many, perhaps even to his own self, and that undeniable truth was that he was not a coward, perhaps the furthest from it, and he would have the courage even to love again, even staring in the face of certain doom.