Chapter 23 - Fair Play

Sarina knew that Severus would be late. He'd warned her as much. She wished she could help him with whatever he was up against. She had been reading...a lot. She had a talent of being able to scan through text and it would be in her mind, as if she was watching a movie, and she would retain most of what she'd seen...as if her mind sorted and categorized all of the information into neat little bins. She wished there was more. She wanted to be prepared to be at Severus's elbow when he needed her most. She new Severus had more books in his study, but he'd locked them away from her. She knew he must have a reason.  His words and actions as well as his very thoughts foretold of a perilous time to come. He did not truly know her if he thought she would shirk at danger...if he thought she would hide away in his rooms while he faced his trials alone.  For now she would obey his request, but she wouldn't sit idly. She would learn as much as possible from his books, and whether he was with her or away, she would be unwavering...and she would be his helpmeet...his champion. It drove her spirit, and she felt more alive than she'd ever felt. 

Severus was hoping she would be awake when he returned. He had to tell her, had to ask her. He knew she wasn't intentionally hiding anything from him, and he suspected all was not known to her. The sky was darkening upon his return to Hogwarts. He'd had duties outside of its walls that would keep up appearances for Lucius, and therefore Voldemort. The sniveling worm didn't have the stomach for the more intricate tasks. Subtlety was not in his nature. He never knew what Narcissa saw in him. She had twice the testicular fortitude than Lucius could ever hope for.  Severus tried to shrug off the unpleasantries from the day before he entered his rooms in the dungeons of Hogwarts. He found two students from his house, Slytherin, outside their dorms past curfew. They were hiding in the shadows, and from the sound of it, they were snogging. He crept up slowly, becoming visible to them only when he was towering above them. "Perhaps you haven't been given enough homework to occupy your evenings," he said slowly. At the first word, they jumped up at attention, hoping not to encourage his wrath. "Tomorrow I expect a hundred lines from each of you on what potion you think I would use on you if I were to find you again in similar circumstances.  Now off with you."  He felt in better spirits now as he made it to his rooms quickly, hoping to find Sirana still awake.

Severus found her in her usual spot, curled up in her chair with a book...actually about a dozen books. He noticed they were all different books than she'd had out before. She most likely didn't know he was paying attention to which books she had read. Even though she had carefully placed each book back into its original spot, he knew she was now reading them in order, from top to bottom of the bookcase. She'd almost exhausted his supply. Curious, he thought.  Surely she hadn't read them all. He also noticed that she had beads of sweat on her forehead. Even more curious, he thought. He walked up to her and kissed her on her forehead.  Salty, he thought. "You look a little flushed. Have the books you've found tonight been exceptionally exhilarating?" He asked as he sat in his own chair. She laughed at that, "No. I've just been exercising. I can't risk withering away to nothing by sitting in a chair all day. Your spells have kept the place clean and tidy.  So I try to balance my day between my mental and physical well being."  He was a bit impressed at that. "I thought to bring you some more clothes. As much as I enjoy seeing you in your robes and gowns, I realized you might not find them practical for daytime," he said. "Thank you, Severus," she replied, smiling, "It seems you are getting more practiced at hosting after all."  There it was, he thought to himself, that warmth that grew from his middle and made his mood lighter.  He stood, asking, "Speaking of which, would you like something to drink?  I feel a taste for brandy, but I assume from your tolerance, you may prefer wine?"  She laughed at that, knowing he was teasing her. "Yes, wine will do nicely, thank you," she replied with a conspiratorial smile. He returned with two glasses and a bottle of each. "I hurried home in hopes of sharing a drink with you," he said as he poured them both a glass, setting down the bottles on the table at the ready. "To what do we owe the occasion?" Sirana asked, reminding him of a similar conversation starter with Albus. He hoped this conversation would be more productive. He tried to choose his words carefully, "I have found a piece to place in the puzzle today." Severus saw her eyebrow raise at that, and he said in an almost warm tone, "Perhaps we can share a glass first before we get to it though, as it is sure to change the tone of the evening, and I would like to bask in your undivided attention for a few moments before we go once more into the breach."

Sirana felt the weight of his exchange, knowing he would impart his information when he was ready. She was a little surprised when he uncrossed his leg, inviting her over to his chair, "Come, sit with me," he said as a request. She moved to sit comfortably on his lap as he drew her in. They each sipped their drinks while he absently curled her strands of hair around his fingers. "It is coming upon a holiday and I will be off from teaching for the remainder of the week," he said as an offering of small talk, continuing lightly, "Along with the clothes I brought for you, I have also brought a supply of food to do us through the weekend. Nothing special, I'm afraid. One day I will have to provide you with a nice meal." She smiled up at him, saying with mock coyness, "Are you asking me on a date?" He scoffed, then said in a more serious tone, "Would you say 'yes' if I were?" She coughed a little in embarrassment, "Of course," she replied a little shyly, "I would be happy to show you off on my arm. We would be the talk of the dance floor." He smiled a little at the vision of that, then regretfully wished for better times. They would indeed be the talk of Hogwarts and of the Yule Ball, and he would be the one showing 'her' off, he thought wistfully.  He leaned forward and kissed the top of her head, and it seemed like for the first time in a while that time wasn't pressing so hard on him.

They sat together quietly enjoying the intimacy of the moment. Sirana rose to refill both of their glasses. Feeling the shift of mood that it was time to  get to the more serious conversation, she moved back to her own seat. He leaned forward, rolling his glass of brandy between his hands. "The best way to say something is to use one's words to form sentences...I remember hearing that somewhere," Sirana said in jest. "I would advise against using my own words against me, Sirana, as I do not play fair in a battle of words or wits," he replied above a whisper. Sirana was up for the game however, responding, "I believe I read in one of your books that using one's words against them is fair play, and can even be a formidable weapon in battle, however ill advised in matters of love."  He knew exactly to which text she was referring. "Then you would also know of the passage that warns that one should not take a bite larger then one has the capacity to consume," he said with an eyebrow raising. "Ah...point taken. Maybe we should play chess sometime. Hopefully I would have a better chance of winning," she replied, conceding the match. "Doubtful," he replied, half in jest, half in truth. She raised her own eyebrow at that, "Its a pity I don't remember seeing a version of the expression 'making someone eat his own words,' because that would be quite apropos." His mouth formed into a dangerous grin, "You should feel fortunate, Sirana, that Hogwarts discourages corporal punishment, otherwise you might find yourself across my knee."  She paused at that, weighing out whether or not he would actually dare..."Check mate...it would seem that you were being honest when you said you don't play fair," she said. "Yes..." he said slowly in agreement, "I would have to disagree with the text on that point though, as one should use 'all' the weapons at one's disposal, 'especially' in matters of love."  Sirana knew when she was outmatched, even if it was by design, and ignored that the last word had plucked at her heartstrings, "Touché," she said, bowing her head slightly.  

Severus suddenly dreaded the need to turn to the more serious subject at hand. Not because he wasn't interested in it, but because he was more interested in turning their word play into an even more enjoyable play. She had a way of jousting with him that brought out the gamesman in him. He felt like he'd met his match, in wit and passion. It was invigorating to say the least.