Chapter 57 - Parting

There were days Sirana knew that a lot weighed on Severus's mind. Often, he would be gone for a day or two at a time. She read as much as possible, and met with Professor Dumbledore occasionally, trying to keep abreast of all the happenings outside of Hogwarts, especially with her grandfather and the Order. The signs of grim times were escalating, and she knew it would get worse before it got better. She had conducted her classes as usual, although she had started blending magic into her training, and she could see the students' improvements daily.
She had just finished lunch when she heard that something had happened to Draco. She ran towards the bathroom just in time to see Severus, soaked with water, carrying an unconscious Draco. She wished she didn't have another class after lunch, but Professor McGonagall had instructed the students to return to their classes after the incident. As soon as her last class was over, she returned home as quickly as she could.
"What happened? How's Draco?" Sirana asked, seeing the look on Severus's face.
"He will recover...no thanks to Potter," Severus said blankly. "I don't know if the whole truth will out, but it seems that Draco
  |287|

A Soul Undiminished—Severus Snape
and Potter were in an altercation, and Harry Potter prevailed. I cannot believe that Potter was aware of the malefic magnitude of the curse before he cast it, which was reckless and impetuous. I know he is Lily's son, but I could see nothing but his father when I looked at him. If I hadn't been there to administer the counter- curse..." Severus looked lost in thought.
Sirana prepared them a drink for them both.
"Severus, will you teach me the counter-curse? What if someone were to use it again and only I was there?" Sirana said, handing him his drink.
He took the drink, then stood, raising his glass to hers. "I will. I will teach you both the curse and counter-curse," he paused as he touched his glass to hers and they both drank. "However, this will be our last lesson together."
Sirana was confused."What do you mean? Surely my lessons aren't complete."
Severus turned, stepping away from her. He didn't want to say what needed to be said.
"Sirana...You must leave. Tonight. I have made arrangements for your safe travel to be with your grandfather. I've spoken with Albus, and he knows where your grandfather is. He is with members of the Order, and you will be safer there with him than here," he said, finally turning towards her. She looked stunned, and he dreaded the pain he knew he must inflict on her for her safety, and possibly, his own. He knew what Dumbledore had said about her strength, and he knew how much she would need that strength now. He also knew he could not allow himself to be weak.
|288|

Parting
Severus saw her shock turn to anger, and he steeled himself against his own emotions.
"Severus, you know me. I don't pack up and run at the first sign of danger. I plan on staying and fighting when the time comes," she said, and he could see her blue eyes burning with the flames of anger and sadness.
He stepped towards her, taking her hands in his, bringing them up to his chest. He didn't want to see her leave angry, as it was as painful for him as it was her, but he knew it may be inevitable.
"Sirana, the time has come already. I need you to fight. I need your strength, but not here. There are things I must do, and if you are here, you become my weakness." Even as he said the words, knowing the painful truth behind them, he cursed his own path, and all that made it necessary to walk it.
"Come with me. There are things we must prepare for," he urged her gently but resolutely.
He could almost see her inner turmoil. He could see something else as well—courage. She wasn't frightened, but she wanted to make the right choice. He knew from his own experience that there wasn't always a right choice. He also knew that he wouldn't force the choice upon her. She pulled away from him, turning away, and he could see she was torn.
"Why must it be tonight, Severus? And how long would I need to stay away?" she asked, and he knew then that she would trust him.
|289|

A Soul Undiminished—Severus Snape
"Tonight is the only night Albus can assure the location of your grandfather. The members of the Order your grandfather is with have been moving more frequently. Albus said they asked for your help, but that's not the reason I am asking you to go. Sirana, I cannot tell you everything, but I don't know when the time for you to return will be. I also cannot promise you this time that it won't be for forever," he said, unsure of his own future.
At that, she turned back to him, and he saw the tears in her eyes. Severus knew the pain she felt, because he felt it as well.
"I can promise that I will do everything in my power to see that you return to me—if you still wish to," he said, moving to her, wrapping her up in his arms.
"I will always wish to, Severus. I am trusting you, and I want you to trust me too when I promise you that it will not be for forever," she said, looking up at him, and they kissed as if neither could trust if that would be true.