Chapter 27 - Elf-Made Wine

It was getting late. It had been a few days since Sirana had seen Severus for more than a few minutes, either when he was falling exhausted into bed, or in the morning when he dressed to face the day. She had used her time alone to its greatest potential—considering the circumstances. Severus had shared some information about the challenges he faced, the evils that threatened to take power, but much of it was vague. She felt that he wanted to protect her, hide her away, but she knew that time was coming to an end. He had told her that he had put a protective spell on the room, so that no sound could escape the walls. She was grateful for that. She made good use of the record player while she worked out, although she preferred complete silence while she read.
She didn't know if she would see him tonight, so she went ahead and had her evening meal alone. She finished her meal and moved to her chair with her wine. She had no new books to read, but she had found some that she wanted to go back through, because now, she had more reference from which to understand them. She wished she had more time to talk with Severus about the implications of what they had learned about her grandfather. She had found some references in the books, however. She wasn't exactly a Muggle after all. She was almost sure her mother wasn't
  |133|

A Soul Undiminished—Severus Snape
magical, so she wasn't really a half-blood per se, but she now knew that she was magical. It had been lying dormant, mostly. There were events over the years she didn't understand as magic when they happened, but she now suspected it had played a role—like when she had saved one of her students. She had scaled down four stories of the school building to pluck him off the window ledge. She had attributed it to adrenaline and her conditioning. There were other similar incidents, although not as noteworthy. Her grandfather...she wished he had told her. Maybe he was trying to protect her too. And yet, here she was...and she had no idea how or why, but she knew it felt right, like she was where she was meant to be all along. Without rising from her chair, she retrieved another book from the bookcase.
Severus couldn't wait to see her. It had been several days since he had had more than a few words with her. He had brought back some books and a bottle of elf-made wine. As he reached to open his door, he suddenly felt something unfamiliar—jitters. He cursed softly at himself as he entered, and then cursed more loudly at what he saw. Sirana was sitting in her usual spot in her chair, except this time there was a book drifting slowly towards her outstretched hand. When she saw him come through the door, the book hit the floor.
"Uh,I guess I need to work on that,"she said as if disappointed in herself for losing focus. She stood to retrieve the book, setting it on the arm of the chair. Severus sat his bundle on the table and, without speaking, took her in his arms, pulling her to him to greet her with a deep kiss, not breaking away until she was flushed and breathless. Any jitters he felt were no longer present.
|134|

Elf-Made Wine
"Well, that was a pleasant surprise," Sirana said.
"Speaking of surprises, I have a few things for you," Severus said, retrieving his bundle from the table. "I brought you several books from my home and a bottle of elf-made wine."He handed the books over to her, then went to get his two best wine glasses, pouring them each a glass of the deep red wine.
"Mmmm..." Sirana remarked, "I've read in one of your books that it is especially intoxicating to the senses. The book also said that it is prized for its depth in color and flavor."
"Yes, I think you will enjoy it," Severus said, handing her the glass. They stood for a moment, looking in each other's eyes, then each raised their glasses before taking a drink. As a potions master, he had an appreciation for wine, as there were subtleties in each that took a practiced hand. He could feel the unique sensations from the wine almost immediately. He watched Sirana closely. She took the first sip, then closed her eyes; her head tilted back slowly, and her lips parted slightly. He had guessed that he would enjoy her experiencing it for the first time, and he had guessed correctly. Merlin's beard, he wanted to make love to her, here and now. But he would exhibit some control over his own emotions, his own desires. There were things he needed to discuss with her. And now is the time to practice that which I had preached, he thought wryly. She opened her eyes. "That's impressive," she said with an embarrassed grin.
He reached out and brushed her mouth gently with his thumb. "Indeed," he said in obvious regard for her, and turned to offer her his arm. She took his arm and he led her towards his
|135|

A Soul Undiminished—Severus Snape
study, which she had never entered previously. She looked up at him in surprise.
"Why do I feel like a fly?" she quipped.
Severus cherished her humor. Maybe it played in harmony with his own cynical nature.
"Please, welcome to my parlor," he said, playing along. His study resembled his own home in the sense that books lined all the walls from floor to ceiling. Otherwise, his study was quite warm and welcoming. He watched her as she made a trip around the room, looking at the books, touching some of their bindings.
She looks like a child in a sweet shoppe, he thought.
He thought about how much she would enjoy the Hogwarts
library.
Maybe one day...he thought with a bit of regret, but at the moment, he suffered from a lack of imagination of how to make that happen.
"It has not gone unnoticed that you seem to have a propensity for magic after all," Severus began. "And I would like to instruct you on its finer points."
Sirana looked like she pondered that for a moment. "Yes, I would like that," she replied in all seriousness.
"I must warn you, I am known to be a hard taskmaster, and I do not intend to employ any other method of teaching," Severus said with a raised eyebrow.
|136|

"Duly noted," she replied.
He was pleased with the prospect of teaching her. She was not a child, and yet, she was starting from the beginning. He could see already from what she was able to learn in such a short time that she could catch up quickly, especially if she would tolerate him pushing her to her limits.