Chapter 20 - Gossamer

"So are you done for the day, or will you need to go back to school?" Sirana asked, feeling him warm up to the conversation, not wanting it to end. "I must return for my afternoon classes, and regrettably I may not be returning until late in the evening as I have other duties that I must see to," Severus sounded genuinely saddened by that. "I hope that you can find ample books to keep your interest until I return. I must apologize again for being a neglectful host."  She smiled warmly, "Please don't worry about me. I love reading. I will be as snug as a bug in a rug."  She saw his face soften at her expression. Something crossed her mind that she'd meant to bring up with him this evening. Since he may not return until later, she needed to address it now, although grudgingly, "I am embarrassed to ask,  but I'm afraid that, well, um..."  "I have found that the best way to say something is to use words to form a sentence," Severus replied tongue-in-cheek at her hesitation. She chuckled, some of her trepidation fading with his humorous jab, "You're right. I'm afraid that the sheets need laundered, well, the bedding," she coughed nervously and continued, "I would have done so already, but I couldn't find anything to do so with." 

Severus suddenly realized why she was hesitant to share the dilemma with him. He had known from their lovemaking that she was indeed a virgin, and although the charm of the bath would have worked for themselves, the bedding would show the telltale signs.  "Ah, yes, another oversight I have failed to perform as your host, a bit of housekeeping," he replied in good humor. He rose and removed his wand from his robe, walking to the entrance to the bedroom before casting his spell to clean and arrange the room. He returned to her at the table, stepping up behind her chair. "Thank you," she said, smiling up to him gratefully. "You are more than welcome," he said, then leaned down to whisper in her ear, "Never be embarrassed to ask me for anything you need...or want."  Some things are more easily said as a whisper. He saw her small nod, and he heard her breath catch, as if she didn't trust herself to speak. He could smell the daisy that was still in her hair, and he kissed her ear just below it, hearing her draw in a quick breath. He swore to himself. He would give his eye teeth to have a spell to slow down time so he could spend it here, but he mused that he would be too old and withered to fulfill his obligations before he would want to end the spell. The visual image that thought conjured was both sublime and somber, as he knew that the morrow would not see him to be a graying old man, passing peacefully in his bed. But he would not let his pensiveness spoil this time he had with Sirana, and he gently brushed her hair aside with his hand, lowering to kiss the side of her neck. He stepped to the side of her chair, lowering down to one knee beside her, almost even with her now, and moving his hand to her face, brought her gently to him in a kiss.

Sirana'a amazement at this enigma of a man was seemingly never ending. He had kissed her soundly, leaving no doubt of his feelings for her, foretelling of promises of things to come. When they finally broke the kiss, she placed her hand gently on the side of his face. He gathered her hand in his and kissed it, kissing the inside of her palm and her wrist. He stood, pulling her up with him. "I will return to you with all possible haste," Severus said huskily. Sirana smiled, "Please do, and don't spare the horses." They shared a smile at that, and then she watched as he left like he didn't want to risk lingering too long and change his mind. She had the feeling of foreboding as if he was going away to a battle. The room was suddenly empty as never before, but then she felt it, as if there was a gossamer thread of silver light connecting them, and she felt the internal courage that it fortified in each of them.