Chapter 76 - Refuge

The contentment Sirana felt in Severus's home helped to soothe the homesickness she had after leaving Hogwarts. Hagrid had arranged to have her clothes and personal items sent to her, and she was settling in nicely.
"Although I always plan on keeping this home, I am unsure if it will be where we will make our home together in the future," Severus said at dinner.
She had wondered when Severus would finally get to the conversation about his proposal for the Order, and she also wondered how she would fit into it.
"I've often thought that there should be a more considerate option for the students of Hogwarts who find themselves without humane accommodations for the summer. In the past, students such as Harry Potter—or myself—were left without adequate options. Children who are orphaned, or who have non- magical parents that do not welcome them back," Severus said thoughtfully.
Sirana was aware of the deficit in this area, and always felt bad for those students during the holidays and summer break. She also felt touched that Severus, who many might have
  |375|

A Soul Undiminished—Severus Snape
thought had no affection for his students, had put so much consideration into it. She was intently interested in what he was saying so far.
He looked at her for a moment as if to gauge her reaction and continued, "If we were to provide a place for them, one that offered extended education during the summer, a school of sorts, but also a home."
It was his turn to look at her expectedly. She could almost envision his plan in her mind. She loved children, and she loved teaching, and the thought of providing a refuge for these children warmed her heart.
"That sounds wonderful, Severus," she exclaimed.
"We obviously wouldn't have appropriate accommodations here in our home. I thought perhaps you could assist me in resolving that aspect—if you are interested in pursuing this path," he said.
"Yes!" she said, excited at the proposition. "I never even imagined it as a possibility, but now, I cannot envision any other path for us."
"This endeavor will not be without its challenges, and I wouldn't want to attempt it without you," he said earnestly.
She smiled at that, her heart full of aspirations for their future. "While I was traveling with the Order, I happened to meet Albus's brother, Aberforth. After Voldemort's death, I considered approaching him about a joint venture with him at Hog's Head Inn to provide a base for the Order. I know it's in
|376|

Refuge
an awful condition, but what if he was willing to convert it to accommodate your purpose as well?"
Severus considered her idea. He knew of the secret passage from Hog's Head to Hogwarts,and that Aberforth had provided the students with provisions when they were hiding out in the Room of Requirements. As long as they had less than a dozen students that needed accommodations, he could imagine that it would suit their purpose splendidly. The Hog's Head had a long history and being close by to Hogsmeade might be ideal, with some cleaning and with Aberforth's approval, as well as Professor McGonagall's. He thought of his last 'meeting' with Professor McGonagall. It was indeed intriguing to imagine his next meeting with her. Sirana and he could make their residence there with the students during the summer and holiday breaks, and for the needs of the Order, and then use his home at Spinner's End for their home otherwise. All in all, it wasn't a bad plan, at least in the inception.
"Agreed. We will plan on pursuing this avenue. I would, however, like for you to present the idea to the Order and to Aberforth. I believe that it must be I who approaches Professor McGonagall. Our last...interaction...left much to be desired, and although I don't look forward to it, we have some matters to work out between us. I would like to think that once she is made aware of the exceptional circumstances of my term as Headmaster of Hogwarts, she may soften her perception. There was a time when I would have considered us to be friends," Severus said, feeling the regret that came with the memory. He brushed that away for now, for he now was given the opportunity
|377|

A Soul Undiminished—Severus Snape
to write a new chapter, and he felt all of the past constraints of his life being cut away.
When they finished their dinner, Sirana poured them both a drink, and they moved into the living room. He sat in his chair by the fireplace. It wasn't quite as big as his chair at Hogwarts, but he looked forward to seeing if Sirana would still be comfortable in his lap, and he invited her to join him. She curled up in his lap and wiggled in. It was more than adequate for the duration, though he would consider arranging for his chair at Hogwarts to be brought. He put his arms around her and pulled her close. They sat and drank their drink and talked about all of the possibilities, enjoying each other's company and the warmth of the fire. He also felt the warmth of their love for each other, and suddenly felt the time may be right.
"Before the wine clouds your judgment, I have another proposition for you," he said, moving for her to raise from his lap.
He stood, taking their glasses and setting them on the table. He lowered himself in front of her on his knee and drew a small box from his jacket pocket. He looked up to her, the woman he loved more than anything in his world.
"Sirana, would you be my wife?" he asked simply but sincerely.
He opened the box to reveal a simple but brilliant ring. He was charmed when her mouth dropped open, and she brought her hands together at her chest. He was humbled and
|378|

Refuge
grateful when she said yes. He slipped the ring on her finger, then stood to face her. They kissed, tears coming down both of their cheeks. They could never have envisioned so much for themselves. Lily's last act of magic had brought them together in a most extraordinary work of magic. Her gift was unselfish and beautiful, just as she had been. Severus thought about all that had led them here, all of the sacrifices, both grievous and beautiful, and he vowed that none would be in vain. Their love and devotion for each other had made them whole, their souls undiminished.