Chapter 38 - Cypress Wood & Unicorn Hair

"What are your plans for the day?"Severus asked Sirana. It was Saturday morning, and Sirana was looking forward to the weekend.

"Madam Hooch and I are going to go to a place called Hogsmeade for lunch. She said there are some interesting shops and a cozy little pub. Would you like to join us?" she asked.

"Heavens, no. But thank you for the invitation," Severus replied. "I would like to take you somewhere when you return."
"Looks like I will have a busy day, then. I can't say that I'm not happy to get out and about. Everyone here has been so nice to me," she said happily.
"If you have no plans tomorrow, I would like to take you to meet someone. Since you will be staying here for the summer, I would like for you to meet some of the others that remain here as well," Severus replied, drinking his morning tea.
"That would be nice. I've already met Professor Trelawney, although briefly. She said she would like to talk to me more one day. She said something about my aura," Sirana said. "She stared at me for the longest time. It was a bit unsettling."
|193|

A Soul Undiminished—Severus Snape
Severus looked serious for a moment, as if thinking about something unpleasant, then he stood, coming over to her, "I think you will enjoy meeting the person I have in mind. I have asked him to keep an eye on you when I'm gone. His name is Hagrid. I think you might enjoy his good nature."
"Then it looks like I will have a full weekend. I was hoping we could have some time to work on some magic lessons. I've been looking forward to try a couple of the spells I've been working on," Sirana said, standing to leave.
Severus leaned down to give her a kiss goodbye. He traced the side of her face with his finger."Is that all you are looking forward to working on with me this weekend?" he said suggestively.
She blushed. He smiled at her, and she knew he saw her cheeks flush.
"Wonderful," she replied, trailing her finger down his chest, "Now Madam Hooch will think I'm daft, walking around with a silly smile on my face all afternoon."
Severus snatched her finger from his chest and brought it to his mouth to kiss it. "We could always postpone our plans for a couple hours," he said, now tracing his lips with her finger. "But I think the anticipation will do you good."
She felt a little weak in the knees suddenly, and she had to laugh at herself a little. "Just remember, Severus, what's good for the goose is good for the gander," she said smiling sweetly up to him.
|194|

Cypress Wood & Unicorn Hair
"Touché," Severus replied, raising one eyebrow as if that bit of irony had just crossed his mind.
Sirana had a splendid time in Hogsmeade. Madam Hooch was the perfect guide. Their last stop was at the Hog's Head, and they each had a pint of butter beer. Their conversation turned to the subject of men, and Madam Hooch informed her that there were a few at Hogwarts that had made inquiries of Sirana's status.
"Well, I'm flattered for sure," Sirana laughed. "But I have someone in my mind at the moment."
Madam Hooch smiled knowingly. "Yes, I figured. I've seen you looking at him. I will keep it our secret. I can't pretend to understand it, but love is a strange and wondrous bird."
Sirana smiled back conspiratorially. "Yes, yes, it is."
When Sirana made it back, Severus wasn't home. She found a note on the table with a map. He was called away for business, so he wanted her to go to meet Hagrid today instead of Sunday. She was supposed to meet with him in half an hour.
She followed the map to find a hut towards the edge of the Forbidden Forest. When she knocked, the largest man she'd ever seen answered the door.
"Well, hello, miss! Come on in," the man said, stepping aside to welcome her in. "I'm Hagrid. I'm the Professor of Care of Magical Creatures. It's lovely ter meet yeh."
|195|

A Soul Undiminished—Severus Snape
Sirana liked him immediately. He reminded her a bit of her husband who had passed. Her husband was a big man, although not nearly as giant as Hagrid.
"It's a pleasure to meet you as well. I'm Sirana. Severus—I mean, Professor Snape wanted to introduce us since we would both be spending the summer here," she said, shaking the giant's enormous hand.
"Yes, Professor Snape didn't want us ter miss the chance ter meet before summer break. I'm ter keep an eye on yeh during the summer. He said if yeh had some extra time, yeh might even be able ter help me with the animals," he replied with a hopeful tone.
"You say you care for magical creatures!?" Sirana asked, wide- eyed.
"Erm, well, yes," Hagrid replied, as if suddenly proud of his title since she seemed impressed with it.
"That's wonderful! I would love to help out when I get a chance," she offered, excited at the opportunity.
They agreed to meet the following week to get started, and Sirana made her way back to Hogwarts, feeling a bit more optimistic about the summer break. She loved animals after all, and magical creatures sounded intriguing.
It was early in the evening when Sirana made it back. Severus was waiting for her.
"If we leave now, we can still keep our appointment," he said. They Disapparated from the room.
|196|

Cypress Wood & Unicorn Hair
"Do you think you can teach me that sometime?" she asked him when they arrived in Diagon Alley.
"Yes, I can, although Apparating in and out of Hogwarts is not permitted—or possible—except for a rare few who have express permission from the Headmaster."
He led her through the back alley since he thought it best not to be seen together by too many people. They arrived at Ollivander's wand shop, and he escorted her in.
"Ah, welcome. I was beginning to fear that you wouldn't make it," Mr. Ollivander said.
Suddenly, he stopped and looked at Sirana, then came around the counter to get an even closer look at her. "Sirana Cadogen...I haven't seen you since you were a young lass."
Severus looked at her and saw she was confused. "I'm sorry, I don't remember meeting you before," she said.
"That's odd," Mr. Ollivander replied. "You and your grandfather, Professor Cadogen, came here, quite some years ago. I haven't seen him since..." he looked a little confused as he thought about it. "You've already been chosen by your wand. Made from cypress wood...yes...and unicorn hair. Don't tell me that you've misplaced it?"
Severus didn't want to risk more questions, and quickly replied, "No, she just received word that it had been found. I had considered a temporary wand might be suitable, but I think we may wait until it is returned. Thank you for your assistance." Since Ollivander would assume she would already know how to
|197|

A Soul Undiminished—Severus Snape
use a wand, he didn't want him to hand her one to try out and her give away that she had no idea what to do with it. He quickly ushered her out the door and told her he'd explain when they had more privacy.
When they were back at Hogwarts, Sirana went and sat in her chair, a little tired from the events of the day. Severus poured them both a drink and joined her.
"What was all of that about?" she asked.
"I was going to ask you that same question. Do you remember getting a wand with your grandfather?" Severus asked.
"No, I don't remember a wand or meeting Mr. Ollivander," she replied.
"There is a chance he erased that memory. Perhaps he was trying to protect you, " Severus said as if thinking out loud. "He will be here within the month. I will ask Albus to inquire of your grandfather if he knows of your wand, and if he has possession of it, ask him to bring it to you. I was hoping to begin your instruction to wand magic, but it looks like that may be delayed. If your grandfather is not in possession of your wand, I can acquire a substitute for you, but it will be inferior to having your own."
He wanted to begin teaching her wand magic before he left for summer. He knew he wouldn't get to see her as often, and he didn't want to leave her defenseless. He thought they would work on more wandless defenses after he spoke with Albus. But now...
|198|

Cypress Wood & Unicorn Hair
He thought of the rest of the plans he had for the day. It had been a long day, and she looked as tired as he felt. He didn't want the opportunity to go to waste, and he thought of a remedy. He went to retrieve the rest of the elf-made wine, and after pouring them both a drink, he turned the record player on low.
"Are you trying to seduce me, Severus?" Sirana asked in mock innocence.
"Perhaps," he answered slowly in his velvety voice, handing her the glass. "Would you like to dance?" he asked, offering her his hand.
"Why, of course I would," she answered.