Chapter 53 - Holiday

Severus wasn't looking forward to Slughorn's holiday party. He'd hoped Sirana would have returned by now, and he was going to take her as his guest, which would have announced
them officially as a couple. He still had to go as a chaperone for the party, though, and he was not in good spirits.
When he arrived, Slughorn asked him about Sirana. "Have you heard word from Sirana? Are she and her grandfather doing well?"
Severus knew Dumbledore had told everyone that Sirana had left to care for her ailing grandfather, but he suspected Slughorn knew more of the truth than he could reveal. "Yes, I heard they are doing well," Severus said blankly.
"I was so hoping she could make it to my party," Slughorn replied. "She owes me a dance, and I was hoping to collect. But I'm glad to hear they are well. There's always next year."
Severus didn't feel up to conversation and excused himself. He didn't want to think about dancing with Sirana—it made him miss her even more. He was a patient man, but the time away from her had started to eat away at his composure. Not knowing how or where she was at any moment or when she
  |267|

A Soul Undiminished—Severus Snape
would return was wearing him thin. Dumbledore had kept him updated as much as possible, but now, with Dumbledore away, he felt completely disconnected from Sirana.
Not completely, he thought. He could still feel their link, and he treasured it as his assurance of her safety. The events of the party did not help his mood, and when McLaggen vomited on his shoes, he decided his night wasn't going to get any better. It did afford him the opportunity to relay the message to Harry Potter, though, and he would hopefully not have to talk to him again for the duration of the Holiday break. When Draco was found lurking around the halls, it sent him over the edge. He'd escorted him from the party and chased him down to push him against the wall. He knew Draco was scared, and he wished he could knock some sense in to him. Draco was still a child, and Severus knew he wasn't ready for the task he was given. If Draco wasn't so bitter and weak like his father, he could convince him to let him take care of everything. As it was, he would have to wait until the time to keep his promise to Dumbledore. He hoped Dumbledore was right, and that saving this boy's soul would be worth both of their sacrifices.
He finally headed back home, and his mood had grown fouler as he got closer to his rooms. As he stood outside his door, his mind touched on something familiar. Surely not. He took a deep breath, feeling the need to collect himself before he entered. When he entered, he could smell the familiar scent of her soap, and he could hear the faint sounds of bath water sloshing. His heart almost burst. He went to retrieve the bottle of elf-made
|268|

Holiday
wine he hadn't had the chance to share with her the night she left. It seemed like so long ago. He poured them both a glass and headed in to finally see the person who had been haunting his thoughts and dreams since she'd left.
He stepped in slowly, letting his mind reach out to let his presence be known before she heard him. He felt her mind open, and he felt her unbridled love pour into him. He felt it in his soul, and it washed away all of the pain and despair. He closed his eyes, soaking it all in, sending out the same in return.
"Mmmm...Severus. Let me see you," he heard coming from Sirana. He came over to the bath. She was smiling, and he sat the glasses down, freeing his hands to stroke her face. He leaned down to kiss her, wrapping his hands into her hair. He didn't want the kiss to end. He'd longed for this moment, dreamt of it, and he was almost afraid if he let go, he would wake up alone again. He finally found the courage to break away, opening his eyes to find that she was definitely still there.
Sirana smiled up at him, as if understanding him completely. He kept his hand on her face, enjoying just looking at her.
"Hand me my towel, Severus. I've needed a hug from you for way too long," she said. He happily complied. He couldn't help but look at her, his heart skipping a beat. He handed her the towel, then frowned. She looked too thin. She also had random bruises and scrapes all over her. He drew out his wand and healed her the best he could for the moment. She held the towel out away from her while he tended to her. She turned, and he took care of the particularly nasty scrape on her back.
|269|

A Soul Undiminished—Severus Snape
She turned back around and thanked him, then donned her robe since the chill of the room had raised goosebumps on her skin. He then stepped forward and hugged her. She purred inn response, contented to be wrapped up in his warmth.
"Please, come have some wine with me. It was meant for the night you left, and I've been looking forward to picking up where we left off every day since then," Severus said, picking up the wine and leading them into the living room, her hand on his arm.
He led her to his chair, and they sat in their familiarly favorite way, with her curled up on his lap. They sat in each other's arms for a while, sipping their wine, just enjoying being in each other's company.
Severus broke the silence. "You missed Slughorn's Christmas party today. I was hoping to take you and show you off on my arm. Slughorn was looking for the dance you owed him. I didn't tell him that he might have had to fight me for the chance."
Sirana laughed. "I'm sorry. I would have loved to go with you. I missed you more than you can possibly imagine."
"I can imagine more than you might realize. I haven't gone a moment without you on my mind. I'm proud of you for all you've done, but part of me was too selfish to want to risk you or even share you. Maybe that's why Albus didn't share his plans with me. Maybe he thought I would steal you and run off with you to never be seen again," Severus said, not completely jesting.
|270|

Holiday
Sirana placed her hand on the side of his face. "If it wasn't for the consequences, I would have been tempted by your offer."
"You know, it's not too late," he said, a bit of sadness in his voice.
She kissed him gently. "We both know that's not really true...but it is a nice dream to dream."