Chapter 26 - Live

Severus had been dreading this day. He was meeting Lucius at his Manor today. Over the last week, he had carried out everything that Lord Voldemort had asked of him. Fortunately,
the Dark Lord was still lying low, weakened. Unfortunately, he was rebuilding his strength, preparing for the day he would re- emerge, perhaps stronger than before. In the meantime, he used the Death Eaters in his ranks to carry out his deeds. Lucius was climbing the ranks in Voldemort's army, hoping to be at his right hand at the end, taking every opportunity to prove his loyalty to the Dark Lord. Severus knew Lucius didn't care if Voldemort would emerge victorious in the end. If Voldemort were to fail, Lucius wanted to be second in line, and then, he would inherit the power he craved. But if Severus knew how weak Lucius really was, he had no doubt that Voldemort knew as well.
Severus Apparated into the Malfoy Manor as he had a week ago. He was not that same man. He must be careful not to reveal anything to Lucius. Lucius was a fool, but he was not stupid. Lucius was waiting for him this time, standing by the fireplace, staring into the blazing fire. Severus wondered what, or who, he saw there.
  |129|

A Soul Undiminished—Severus Snape
"Ah, Severus!" Lucius said grandly, waiving his ornate walking stick welcomingly. "I think you were right before...my mantle does look a bit bare since you ran off with my ornament. Do tell—have you disposed of the lovely lass? I hope you were able to glean more information from her than I. You've always had a way with the ladies, haven't you?"
Severus would not be so easily provoked. "Actually, the... lovely lass...is now warming up the ambiance of my own decor. I have not yet discovered any secrets—that you weren't already aware of—but you should know as well as anyone that I am a patient man...and you can rest assured that when I grow bored, I have my ways of making one disappear." He was aware that Lucius knew of his reputation as a Death Eater, and he would also recognize the veiled threat. "More importantly, Lucius, I have finalized the tasks set before me by the Dark Lord. If there are more expectations, I would be most willing to accept his instructions—directly," Severus said, hoping Lucius would be more worried about the reason he wanted to see Voldemort face-to-face, perhaps even challenging his position, and that would distract him from the thought of Sirana.
"He will be pleased to hear that the more...delicate...work has been done," Lucius replied. "For now, there are undertakings that I must see to, and I don't believe I will need your...direct assistance." Lucius's smile faded. "However, I will let the Dark Lord know that you stand at the ready."
Lucius had not elaborated on what 'undertakings' he was referring to. Lucius was no doubt unaware that Severus already
|130|

Live
knew of the plan for the Dark Lord to arrange the mass breakout of prisoners from Azkaban. It was but yet another sign of the building of Voldemort's army. Of course, since Severus knew of it, Albus Dumbledore knew as well.
"Of course," Severus replied. "Please send my regards to the lady of the house."
He chose that moment to Disapparate, having had the last word, knowing Lucius suspected that Narcissa was often more welcoming to Severus than he approved of.
This time, Severus chose to Apparate to his house in Cokeworth. There were several books he had in mind to bring Sirana. She had already read the collection he kept at Hogwarts, except for what he'd kept in his study. He wondered if she actually retained all that she'd read. Even though the books he kept in his library weren't as sensitive in nature as his private collection, there was still a fair amount of knowledge to be acquired from them. He may need to reevaluate his decision to keep his study locked. The potential power of the knowledge those books could impart—to the right person—could prove to be invaluable. If she were to stand at his side as an ally, they could provide a foundation from which to train her up.
He looked around the bleak room. Sirana had said that she could spend a lifetime here among so many books. He would imagine that she would brighten up even these dark walls. He had not foreseen Sirana in his life. Admittedly, he was not a Seer. Severus heard the words from Dumbledore's and his last meeting. He wondered if Albus knew more than he had
|131|

A Soul Undiminished—Severus Snape
revealed, as his words seemed almost prophetic now. Perhaps he would find his mercy, perhaps his soul would indeed not be lost. It was too much to ask for, and he would not ask for mercy for himself...but for Sirana. He had offered to lay down his life for Lily, and she had died. Now, he swore, he would do more than die for Sirana and for Lily—he would live.