𝟭 | 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗿𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿

𝘃𝗼𝘁𝗲 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁 <𝟯

"I'm still fine, just like 20 minutes ago," I say to my brother on the phone while struggling to unload my suitcases

"I'm still fine, just like 20 minutes ago," I say to my brother on the phone while struggling to unload my suitcases. Which are much heavier than I remember loading into my car last night.

How much shit did I bring?

"Don't get all pissy on me, I'll leave you alone for now but I swear to god, Lani, if you don't check-in at least twice a day I will-"

"Drag me back home and handcuff yourself to me, you've said it so many times it's permanently engraved in my brain, ass."  Don't get me wrong I love my brother but ever since all that's has happened this past year he has become much more protective. He was only my legal guardian for 6 months but there's no way he's giving up that role any time soon.

"Okay fine, call me when you're settled in, please be safe. I love you." My brother is a big softie so it's almost too easy to detect the pain in his voice, it hurt me knowing that my leaving would make him suffer so much. I could've stayed and gone to Cherlighton U back home, but I had to get out of there. That town, that house, the memories. We've always been close but these past 8 months we've been practically attached at the hip.

I don't cry. I refuse to, but while swallowing the obnoxious lump that formed I reply, "I love you too, J." His name is Jaden, but I've always called him J, he's 3 years older than me and a senior in our hometown college.

I stick my phone back into my back pocket when this blond medium-sized girl comes out to greet me "Hi you must be Kailani right?" My name rolls off her tongue perfectly. I love my name, it's unique. Plus there are like a million nicknames I can use for it. Well more like 3, but tomato tamahto

I give her a sincere smile, "and you just be Rebecca. You can call me Kai, Lani, or any other nickname you can come up with."

"I think I'll go with Kai, and you can call me Rebecca or Becca," she says with a big smile, "I'm so happy to finally meet you, it's nice to put a face to the name"

"Same here," I say while unloading the last of my stuff.

"Here I'll help you," she says while taking my stuff inside, the house is much bigger on the inside.

"On the ad, it said there would be one other roommate, who's the other person?" I say while bringing the last of my things inside.

"The person you are referring to is Roman. My twin brother."

"Twin? If you don't mind me asking why would you guys want a stranger living with you?" I ask