(1) Green Eyes

The horizon started to turn into a pale shade of red.

Clay let his eyes wander over the empty beach, the tiny waves at the silent ocean and the line of small security boats in the distance.

It was a quiet morning. Usually there would be bird chirps coming from the trees nearby but today he couldn't hear anything. His thoughts were the only noisy things.

He moved his arm slightly and stared at the green "V" at his wrist.

V for Vilis. Inferior people. Imprinted with this letter because they had usual eye colors. And no powers. Clay was one of them. He was born to a Vilis family with green eyes, making him one of the poor.

The Vilis lived in big, run down villages with small huts and barely any electricity because it was too expensive.

Their only function was to serve the Pretiosi- the powerful people, with their extraordinary eye colors. Clay had seen some of the people with red, yellow or silver eyes, but he couldn't tell which color meant which power.

How many times did he wish to be a Pretiosi... to live in wealth, to not worry about food for tomorrow or to have one of these electrical things the rich people called cellphone.

But it was not meant to be. Clay learned to control his anger and jealousy and these days he didn't really care anymore. This was his life and he had to deal with it.

Clay's family wasn't even poor compared to the other Vilis families in their village.

His parents recieved a monthly package with money from an old friend of the family. Therefore Clay and his siblings could still go to school and didn't have to enter the military.

School here was useless but still better than being forced to enter the army, getting 2 months of training and then being sent straight to the war front to fight.

The war was even more useless than school. Just a slaughter of thousands of Vilis- Clay couldn't find another word for it. Only a few of the teenagers sent to the front ever came back. And if they came back, they didn't have all their arms and legs anymore.

Why did the Vilis have to fight this war, the people without the powers? Sure, there were some Pretiosi soldiers aswell, but mostly to give the Vilis commands. The Pretiosi didn't fight, and they couldn't be hurt even if they did. So what was the point in losing so many Vilis lives?

There were 2 weeks left until his 17th birthday.

All 17 year old Vilis were taken from their family and put in the Vilis army. The only way to escape death at the front was to either get a job or stay at school.

The latter was rather mockery than an opportunity. Every Vilis kid was forced to go to school for 7 years, but after that their parents had to pay for any other education. And barely any Vilis family had enough money to afford this- most of them were already struggling with paying their rent or getting food.

Clay was one of the lucky ones who could spend another few years in school before having to join the military eventually- but those were a few more years to live and Clay was thankful for that.

Clay got up from the rock he was sitting on and turned his back to the blue shimmering ocean.

While he was in his thoughts, the sun climbed higher and higher, making it early noon already.

He went back towards the large amount of huts with a few kids playing in the mud which used to be streets when it didn't rain for a long time.

School didn't take place today, he didn't know why.
As he was thinking, he didn't know a lot in general. Maybe it was better this way.