(4) Colors

The morning sun was climbing up the distant mountains.
The path they were walking on was rough and full of little rocks. Clay has nearly stumbled 4 times.

The paper rolls on his back didnt make it easier to walk up the hill. He started panting while he could feel single drops of sweat forming on his forehead.

Nick was walking quite steadier. His breath was kind of normal and he managed to put each step exactly between the little rocks covering the path.

Clay stopped for a moment and looked up. Around him there were wide fields and massive forests in front of the giant mountains. As he turned around, he could see his village far away, the few little huts surrounded by single, nearly dead trees. The whole thing seemed to be glowing in the midday heat.

Nick's voice broke the silence.
"Are you okay, dude?"

He turned back towards his best friend.

"Just a little exhausted. Seriously, how do you walk up this hell of a mountain every week?"

Nick let out a laugh. "This is only a hill compared to the mountains around us. Plus I got used to it."

They waited for a few more seconds, before Clay started walking again.

In the closer coming distant, he could see the blinking and shining diamond-like palace of the royal family. In front of the palace there was a big royal city, where the richest Pretiosi bought their velvet and their steaks which were covered in gold.

Who would eat something with gold wrapped around it…

After the short break, he felt the straps of his backpack cutting into his shoulders even more.

He was carrying some of Nick's drawings which he was about to sell to the Pretiosi.

For them it was no big deal, it didnt hurt them to spend a few golden coins on a picture of the sunset on a strange beach.
If they payed a few more golden coins, they could also let their kids or dogs getting drawn by Nick. For them it wasn't a big deal.

For Nick it was a big deal. What he earned wasn't indeed much but it was enough to buy the most neccessary food and pay for his family's rent.

And most importantly it gave him a job. And this job has saved him from being taken by the army on his 17th birthday.

Funny how drawing the dogs of rich people can save your life

Clay wished he was as talented at drawing as Nick. Then he would find a job like this.

But he didn't have a job. And in 2 weeks he would turn 17. And then he would be taken away, to join the army, just like his older siblings were the last night.

The only thing I can do is make sure mom, dad and Chris have enough money to keep Chris from being recruited until she finds a job.

This was his only goal right now; to get his family money before he turned 17.

A lot of money.

And that's why he was walking on this rough and dusty path, helping Nick to carry his drawings.

Nick surely could have carried them alone, but Clay needed an excuse to get into the city.

The Pretiosi city was the only place where he could get enough money to help his family out.

How?

Steal it.

For sure they wouldn't notice when their valuable wrist watch was gone, they'd just get a new one. Would they though?