(5) Broken Dreams

Hi, I'm back with a new chapter! I'm having more and more fun writing this story, thank you to everyone who's reading it, it means a lot to me seeing how many people already read it!
Anyway, enjoy! :)

Clay stepped into the crowd. This could be easy.
People were rushing by and apparently not paying attention.

He still tried to figure out how he could steal some valuable items without the owner noticing when he saw something blinking right in front of him on the floor.

He quickly bent down and grabbed it.
It was a golden coin.

That's easier than I thought. Somebody must have lost it.
He thought as he looked at it happily. It wasn't much but it was a start- and he didn't even have to steal for it.

Unfortunately the Pretiosi didn't seem to lose their golden coins regularily and Clay wandered around for about an hour without finding any more money or other valuable stuff.

He didn't dare to try and grab something out of someone's pocket- what if he got caught?

At the end of the day you have to do it,
a voice in his head said.
They won't just give you money, you have to get it.

Clay sighed and looked around once again.
Who wasn't paying attention? Who had some bills hanging out of their pocket?

He didn't notice how the atmosphere got more and more tense, how people whispered to each other while looking around suspiciously, how nervous and upset they were afterwards.

His thoughts were interrupted abruptly by a sharp pain in his arm; a man has grabbed his upper arm and pushed him to the ground.

The last thing he saw was a pair of furious deep blue eyes before he got hit by a lot of water. He couldn't breathe for a moment.

He heard the water splash on the floor around him.

His clothes completely soaked, he sat on the floor, gasping for air.

The water man was standing right in front of him, looking down on him as if he was a disgusting little insect.

"Are you happy now? You and your little friends?" The man shouted, raising his hands like he was about to punch Clay.

"You little Vilis people think you are better than us? You think you can mess with us? What if I put a bomb in one of your dirty little villages and blow you all up? Huh? Would you like that? WOULD YOU LIKE THAT!?"

Clay didn't know what to say but he didn't have the time to anyway as another wave of water hit him in the face and pressed him to the floor.

But this time the water remained where it was, enclosing him from all sides.

He tried to raise his arms as if he was swimming but the water prevented any movement.

He tried to roll over to his front when he accidentally took a breath full of water, causing his lungs to burn.

This is the end...

The lack of oxygen made his brain feel floating, the sound of the roaring water around him got quieter and the devil laugh of the blue eyed man faded.

And he fell…

And then the water was gone.
He could breath. He inhaled as much oxygen as he could, letting it flow through his whole body. He had never thought breathing could feel that good.

"… -trying to drown a child, what is wrong with you? What did he even do?!"

His eyes were closed but he heard some of the surrounding noises, footsteps on a solid ground, yelling in the distance.