(21) Between Hell and Heaven

Hello! New chapter yay :D
For those who didn't know yet, my other dnf fanfic is out, you can find it on my profile. It's a shorter fanfic and therefore not written with that much detail.
Oh and I have ANOTHER idea for a dnf fanfic, holy potato I don't have time for 3 fanfictions xD
At least I won't run out of ideas :)
I felt a bit weird writing this chapter, especially the end, that's why it took so long. But it was definitely worth it, so get ready for a little surprise at the end :3
Now I hope you like the chapter and a vote or comment would make my day :D
Enjoy!

Clay sat on his bed, motionless, as if he got struck by lightning.

How ironic.

George knew it. He knew about Nick not being at the war front anymore.

How did he find out?

Hectically Clay thought about an excuse but it seemed to be easiest to play dumb.

"H-how am I supposed to know? Do you think I'm in contact with terrorists?"
Clay said, not sure if his voice was trembling a bit.

George squinted his red eyes, observing Clay like a criminal under interrogation.
"What other option is there?"

Clay stayed silent. He did not know how to respond to this. He felt like a fish caught on a fishing rod and by trying to swim away it would only hurt more.

"What connection do you have towards Justitius Acrit-Viridis?" The Prince asked.

Clay's confusion had to be visible on his whole face.
"Who? I mean I know the family Acrit-Viridis, they're healers, right? Isn't Majina one of them?" The words just spilled out of him while he was trying not to say too much.

George crossed his arms.
"Exactly, Justitius is actually Majina's nephew. I'm surprised you don't know him, considering that he financed most of your life."

Suddenly it hit Clay. 
So that was the name of the money guy? Who made sure his family had enough money to prevent the children from being taken to the war front?

How did the Prince even find out that he was the one receiving support from the unknown Pretiosi?

A knowing, uncomfortable feeling spread through his fingers as he realised what George was on about.

The money guy, apparently named Justitius, had been executed after helping the Black Rebellion to plan a terroristic attack on the Great Castle.

It had been on the news. He remembered it as if it was yesterday.

How Nick and him had been talking about the Black Rebellion when they made their way back to Clay's hut for dinner, how they arrived to his brother fighting with their dad about the money, how Cliff and Charlize were taken away the night after.

"I don't know what to believe anymore!"
George angrily said.

"Justitius Acrit-Viridis, sending money to your family before being executed due to connections to the terrorists, then your best friend disappearing from the front, probably kidnapped by the Black Rebellion aswell-… what does that mean?"

The Prince paced up and down the room, slowly shaking his head as if he tried to find a plausible explanation.

Clay was staring at the floor, unsure if or how he could get out of this.

The worst thing for him was not even the fact that someone suspected him of having connections to the Black Rebellion and therefore putting his life in danger.

No, the worst thing was how mad and betrayed George felt because Clay had lied to him plenty of times.

It broke his heart.