chapter two

Anthony Bridgerton returned home at approximately quarter two seven, nearly two hours after Aurora Grey had left

Anthony Bridgerton returned home at approximately quarter two seven, nearly two hours after Aurora Grey had left. Needless to say his mother had some thoughts on the matter.

The family had been in the middle of dinner when he entered, famished. He took his place at the head of the table and had barely begun cutting into the venison they were eating when Mrs. Bridgerton began her speech.

"Really Anthony, one would think that you aren't serious in your suggestions of marriage. I cannot think of a more perfect young woman for you to consider and yet you throw away this perfect chance to earn her affections before the season starts and she is swept off by some undeserving suitor."

The other children remained silent throughout the declaration and Anthony continued to eat his dinner with a look of false apology upon his face.

"I'm sure I shall meet her soon enough, mother."

In truth he was nervous to do so. He knew that it was more than likely she would end up his bride - they were an ideal match for sure - and he feared that he may behave foolishly, more specifically, he feared he may fall in love.

"She was lovely though, wasn't she mother?" Spoke Eloise in an attempt to diffuse the tension. This surprised Anthony as she rarely spoke so highly of 'ordinary ladies'.

"Yes. She speaks English, French and Latin. Can you believe that Anthony? Latin? We were most impressed."

"She sings rather well too, her and Colin had a lovely duet going for a while." Remarked Benedict in an attempt to get revenge for Colin's flicking peas at him.

"Yes. Some foreign piece, it was very beautiful. Oh Anthony I wish you had been there."

Anthony shuffled uncomfortably before responding through gritted teeth. "I am sorry mother. I shall endeavour to be present in the future."

At this Simon finally chose to save his best friend from further scrutiny by declaring to Eloise that he and Daphne were going to take her book shopping as a kind of pre-thank you for the pains she was to endure over the coming months of the London Season.

As talk drifted away from the Grey girl Anthony gave his friend a silent 'thank you' to the which Simon merely chuckled.