chapter seven - the Cowper ball

Aurora had not had the chance to meet up again with the Bridgertons - something which she considered with mixed feelings given her recent run in with the eldest Bridgerton - however she did long to see Daphne and Eloise and could not wait for the ...

Aurora had not had the chance to meet up again with the Bridgertons - something which she considered with mixed feelings given her recent run in with the eldest Bridgerton - however she did long to see Daphne and Eloise and could not wait for the Cowper ball which was to be held that Friday. 

The Cowper ball was a truly outstanding event during the London Season. She knew the Cowpers well and had spent much of her youth alongside Cressida Cowper.

Time seemed to pass in a flurry of insubstantial potential suitors and hefty gowns.

Finally it was Friday and Aurora was pinned into a pastel blue and white gown - one of her favourites in fact. She had contemplated adding feather to her hair but settled on pale blue ribbons which was more common in the North.

Perhaps it was her heritage, but Aurora had always felt something of a disinclination when it came to the oversized feathers that many debutantes wore.

Aurora had always loved the building and as soon as she saw it from the carriage she found herself reminiscing upon fond childhood memories of her and Cressida playing on the green.

Escorted by the Lady Danberry, Aurora found herself - unsurprisingly - caught up in the Bridgerton entourage. She had danced with both Benedict and Colin who, despite what she had anticipated considering their energy, had been truly excellent partners.

Considering

"I see you've managed to tame your hair quite nicely this evening, Lady Grey." Remarked Anthony.

"Indeed. Does it make me less barbaric or is that simply too ingrained in my nature to be brushed out, Viscount Bridgerton?" Responded Aurora wittily without removing her focus from the dance floor.

"My my, your tongue is especially sharp this evening." Anthony could not help but glance down at the girl whose eye line still had not shifted.

"Only for you, my Lord."

Anthony chuckled quietly.

"Would you care for a dance, my lady?" Asked Anthony, holding out his hand to her. In this moment he looked to be the epitome of the ideal gentleman. Aurora was astounded.

"Are you sick?"

"Excuse me?!"

"I only meant, I am surprised that you should ask me."

Anthony raised an eyebrow in question.

"Don't do that. It makes you look even more stupid."

The Bridgerton boy was left speechless for a moment before he regained control of his speech.

"Is that a yes then?"

"Fine."

And with that Aurora took his hand as he led her onto the floor.

It was a waltz - Aurora's least favourite - although they danced it so well together, not even they could deny it. Several of the other couples stopped to watch and many of the gossiping mothers made note of the interaction.

As Lady Whistledown had commented shortly after the Lady Grey's arrival, "Viscount Bridgerton and Aurora Grey are in every sense the perfect couple, and it should surprise this writer very much if they are not engaged by the end of this London Season."

Not a word was spoken between the two throughout the dance and it was not until the very end that the atmosphere started to unravel.

Anthony's cuff link had, rather unfortunately, been caught in Aurora's hair which normally would not be enough to infuriate her, however, his suggestion that they simply cut of her hair to free him did not sit well with her.

"You are the most conceited man I have ever met!" Whispered Aurora menacingly.

"It takes one to know one, my Lady." Sneered Anthony unapologetically.

"Stop talking, you're breathing down my neck and it's-" squirmed Aurora

"Tempting?"

"Uncomfortable, you rake!"

"There, you are both free" interrupted Lady Danberry, saving then from an even larger argument. "Now, I suggest the two of you stay as far away from each other for the remainder of the evening. I do not wish to have to deal with your ridiculous behaviour toward one another."

"Yes Lady Danberry." They chimed together as the two hung their heads in embarrassment.