chapter twenty two - news spreads

Not two days after the Grey brothers had told Reginald Harding of the engagement (something told in confidence) was the matter revealed to London society. In fact, the news became widespread so quickly that by day three Lady Whistledown had devoted an entire page of her society paper to discussing the match.

Indeed, she did not seem at all surprised that it had been arranged - there had been mentions of it in several previous papers throughout the season - but she was certainly seemed pleased at the unofficial engagement.

Aurora on the other hand was not.

She was currently pacing the sitting room of her uncle’s house angrily.

“So I do not have a choice then? I must marry the Viscount?”

“Yes.” William seemed rather apologetic at this, he had grown to resent that his sister would have to leave him and his brothers so soon and was himself angry that Harding had disclosed the secret.

“And I suppose I ought to pretend to be in love with him?” Aurora’s voice was far from civil but William let it slide considering all she had been put through recently.

“That would makes things rather a lot easier.”

“Insufferable man” Aurora muttered.

“Harding or Bridgerton?” William attempted to soften the tension with some humour.

“Both! Harding for telling everyone and Bridgerton for - for - for being so civil about the whole thing!”

William chuckled and shook his head at his sister’s behaviour.

“Would you rather he was uncivil?”

“Yes! That way I would have a reason to hate him. No, instead he behaves perfectly. It is so aggravating!” Aurora had taken up her pacing again. She was growing to resent Anthony Bridgerton more and more with each day that passed.

“But you can pretend to love him. It is only for a month.” William was becoming concerned that Aurora may not be able to persuade the Ton that the pairing was a love match.

“Yes brother, for you I will do that. I take it you wish for me to attend the ball at Baylis House tonight and dance with the Viscount and appear to be - in love?”

William smirked, “if that wouldn’t be too much to ask?”

The girl took in a deep breath and stalked over to the cabinet where she knew her uncle kept a bottle of whiskey.

“What are you doing?!”

Aurora reached into the cabinet and drew out an unopened bottle. Unscrewing the cap she turned to him and answered monotonously.

“Preparing for an evening with my intended.”

At that she threw her head back and drank several mouthfuls of the drink, relishing in the burn she felt at the back of her throat.

“Normally I would tell you off but I shall allow it this once. Please, make sure you are not drunk tonight.”

She smiled a broad grin before taking another sip.

“I make no such promises.”

*****

Short chapter but the next one is interesting.

What will happen at the ball? Any guesses?