chapter twenty - telling Aurora

Aurora Grey had awoken with a very confused mind after the events of the previous night

Aurora Grey had awoken with a very confused mind after the events of the previous night. Anthony Bridgerton's behaviour had been so different to that which she had seen before, she had no idea what to think!

But this was nothing compared to what she would face upon her descending downstairs.

She was surprised indeed to see all three of her brothers had already awoken and were breakfasting by the time she made her way into the dining room. William looked as if he had already been out that morning.

'How bizarre' she thought 'Surely it cannot be that late?'

"Is everything alright? I do not think I have ever seen you all risen so early" Aurora joked.

William turned from where he had been stood at the window looking out onto the street below.

"Please sit down Aurora. There is something I need to discuss with you."

Aurora was surprised by the firmness of his tone and chose to oblige him without a comment. She looked at Julius with witty b it found that he was unable to meet her gaze and instead began buttering his toast most attentively.

"Have I done something wrong?" Her concern was steadily growing as she thought back to the night before.

Surely they could not have been angry at Anthony's having escorted her to the carriage?

William breathed in deeply before speaking.

"Sister, you are to marry Anthony Bridgerton. An engagement between the two of you has already been secured. You will have an engagement of a month and marry shortly before the end of the season, that way everyone will still be in town. Mother and father are to travel down next week to help with the arrangements." The coldness in his tone maintained and Aurora looked at him and then her other two brothers in absolute horror.

Yes, she was becoming more fond of Anthony but she was by no means ready to marry him!

"I-" she stuttered.

"It is not up for discussion, Aurora. He has agreed to the match and so must you. That is final."

With that William Grey left then room, slamming the door behind him.

Aurora looked at Alexander, her eyes laced with tears.

"When was this decided?"

"This morning" Alexander rose and knelt beside Aurora, hugging her. "I am so sorry."

"I am not ready. I am not ready to marry him and leave you. Anthony Bridgerton!" She stood up abruptly and glanced between Julius and Alexander. The two had never seen her look so formidable.

"I will not marry him. You promised me I would have some say in the man whom I married." Her voice steadily rose, powerful and decisive. "You promised me I would not marry unless I loved the man. I do not love Anthony Bridgerton."

There was absolute silence. Alexander Grey had no response. A sudden guilt overtook him and he felt a pain in his chest at what he and his brothers had done.

"Do you love Reginald Harding?" Muttered Julius.

"Pardon?"

"Do you love Reginald Harding?" This time Julius spoke louder and lifted his gaze to meet hers for the first time that morning. "The choice is quite simple. You can marry Anthony Bridgerton or Reginald Harding."

"How can you be so cruel? Have you no thought for me? I do not understand you, I thought you cared for me. Are we not brother and sister?" Here she paused, took a breath and steadied her emotions.

"If you make me marry the Viscount Bridgerton I will never be happy. And I will never speak to any of you again."

With that she walked out of the room, head held high, fighting back tears. And she made certain to slam the door twice as loud as William had on his way out.

"Aurora!" called Alexander as he ran after her. "Aurora please, let me explain!"

"I do not wish to hear it!" She cried as she grabber her bonnet from the stand and made her way to the entrance of the house.

"Where are you going?!"

She looked him dead in the eye and answered monotonously.

"Anywhere but here."

*****

I wasn't going to post these two chapters until tomorrow but I changed my mind.

Valentia x