chapter forty one - a not so romantic honeymoon

The next morning Aurora awoke bright and early to witness the sun rise before breakfast

The next morning Aurora awoke bright and early to witness the sun rise before breakfast. Having not had the opportunity to explore the gardens to the extent that she would have liked last night, the new Viscountess was excited to experience the beauty of the Bridgerton's' gardens.

Taking her time to dress, along with the help of her ladies' maid, Aurora observed herself in the mirror. She felt different to how she had two days ago. Indeed, she felt like a true woman. There was a new radiance surrounding her that made her feel... powerful. She found she rather liked it.

And Aurora would not be the only one to notice. Her maid had also picked up on the chance and found it most interesting.

Heading down to breakfast, Aurora briefly grabbed some bread rolls and an apple before heading out into the garden. The servants seemed surprised that she had not chosen to take a formal breakfast, however, she was their new mistress and so they had no choice but to attempt her ways.

And so, some two hours later, Aurora found herself admiring the statues in the water garden.

'Eleanor would adore this place,' she thought. 'She has such a keen eye for the beautiful things in this world.'

The young Viscountess had not, for some years, delved into the art of poetry. Indeed, her last works were that published in her writings book. But something about this magnificent place left her with an absolute desire to write.

Therefore, it was most lucky that she had with her her journal and fountain pen. She had anticipated using them to document some of the flowers or the animals thriving in the gardens.

Instead she found herself scribbling away, page after page, about every topic one might imagine. For her mind was not bound by the garden. No, in actuality several of the poems she wrote explored much deeper topics: war, poverty, astronomy. The garden became her muse.

Due to a lack of any kind of device upon which she might be able to tell the time, Aurora remained in the garden until surprisingly late. It was no earlier than six in the evening by the time she had returned to the house. This made the Viscountess feel a little guilty, for she had meant to spend at least some of the day completing her new duties.

'Oh well,' she told herself, 'this is my honeymoon after all.'

***

Hidden away in his fathers: old study, Anthony Bridgerton was sat drawing up plan for his new venture. Titled Black Swan, he had already produced several pages worth of documents into the subject and had read approximately half of the papers given to him by Lord Halifax - who was to be his partner in the endeavour.

Halifax had been decent enough to provide him with a great deal of information surrounding the venture, for it was, after all, a matter of great complexity.

Opening up another of the leather bound papers, Anthony glanced his eyes over the large black writing enscrawled on the front page.

OPERATION BLACK SWAN: THE COLLECTION OF INDIGO DYE BY THE HONOURABLE EIC.