chapter forty six - returning home

The last five days of their honeymoon appeared to pass relatively undisturbed

The last five days of their honeymoon appeared to pass relatively undisturbed. The newlyweds spent the majority of the time simply getting to know each other, and Anthony was most surprised indeed to discover his wife's intelligence. He found himself struggling to keep up with her thoughts most of the time - although he would never ask her to slow down for fear she would realise his lack of knowledge.

Anthony, for his part, told Aurora all about life in the Bridgerton family; who got on best with each other, their fondest memories, and most scandalous events.

And so, the days passed quickly and in an atmosphere of content. No more kissed were shared, nor was their previous one mentioned. It seemed better to simply appreciate the moment and - rather ironically - neither of the pair wanted to bring it up for fear of the other one's reaction.

The journey home was a delightful one, the sun beamed down on them despite the shift into Autumn, and the roads were perfectly clear. Aurora felt this was a good omen for their marriage.

Arriving at their new house in Grosvenor Street, Aurora was delighted at its beauty. The house was a pale yellow in colour and there was a not insignificant courtyard at the front upon which numerous carriages were already situated. The style itself was reminiscent of classical principles and was not dissimilar to the Bridgerton's country house. It's style was a rarity in London, but Aurora immediately arises it.

Yes, she could see herself being very happy here.

Once inside, the pair made their way to the main reception room in which their family and closest friends had gathered, awaiting their arrival.

The entire house was abustle as servants moved the remainder of their belongings in and prepared for their master's return.

Aurora told herself to visit each of them personally once her guests had left.

Upon entering the room, the Viscount and Viscountess were bombarded with congratulations and questions from the two families. Julius drew her into an unexpected and rather tight hug whilst Colin asked her all about her 'romantic time' with his brother, and Benedict tried to find out everything they could about their honeymoon, despite Daphne's chastisement of their rudeness.

Benedict was in the middle of asking about the Waterstone painting Anthony had had commissioned when he was interrupted by a highly energetic Eloise and Penelope. It seemed that he was as determined as ever to uncover the identity of the mysterious painter.

"Aurora? Aurora! What exactly is a giraffe? Colin refuses to explain it to me!" Eloise's frustration filled Aurora with mirth. She could only imagine how much this had tormented the poor girl over the past week.

"A giraffe is an animal from Africa. It has a long neck and brown spots. I can probably find a photo of one for you."

The two young girls grinned with glee and wandered off again back into the crowd of people. Aurora could not help but chuckle at their antics.