chapter twenty four - the morning after

The next morning Anthony Bridgerton awoke with a horrific headache

The next morning Anthony Bridgerton awoke with a horrific headache. He couldn’t remember a single thing about the events of the night prior but he assumed that his lack of memory and the haziness which covered most of yesterday was not a good sign.

After slowly changing from last night’s clothes and taking a quick wash he finally emerged from him room. The house seemed  uncomfortably quiet and he assumed the rest of the family to already be breaking their fast.

Entering the dining room he was indeed proven to be correct as the entire Bridgerton household, including Daphne and Simon were all congregated together.

The room fell silent and he smiled awkwardly, making his way to his seat at the head of the table.

It was Violet who spoke first in a gentle but also somewhat sarcastic tone.

“May I congratulate you on your engagement, Anthony. Aurora is a lovely girl and I look forward to getting to know her better over the course of this month.”

Colin choked on the water he had been drinking and Benedict had to cover his mouth to hide the laughter emerging from it. Daphne and Simon looked at each other, a similar mirth crossing their features, and Eloise - who was sat next to Colin - took to hitting his back forcefully to stop his choking.

By now Anthony had already sat down and was buttering his toast. He paused his movement when he took in his mother’s words and slowly raised his gaze, taking in his family’s expressions.

“Pardon?” His tone was icy.

Violet sighed and continued cutting her eggs. “I see you do not remember your declaration last night.”

Simon giggled.

Daphne hit him underneath the table.

Confusion passed over Anthony’s features. “My declaration?” He asked.

Benedict now took the opportunity to embarrass his brother further.

“Yes, you gave quite a fine speech last night in front of the entire ton.”

“Very romantic” interjected Simon.

“Boys stop it!” Violet was in no mood for their antics, however funny it may be. “Regardless of your drunken state you have now officially proposed to the girl meaning that London society will be expecting a marriage between the two of you by the end of the season. Considering you display last night and the already circulating rumours, it is widely believed to be a love match. Therefore I expect the both of you to behave as such. Aurora is coming around this afternoon to discuss the matter.”

Anthony thought he might be sick.

“It’s in Whistledown! Front page as well!” Exclaimed Eloise, passing him the paper.

The Viscount took one glance at the sheet and ran out of the room, bounding down the hall to the bathroom where he just managed to make it before regurgitating last night’s meal.

Things were suddenly becoming very serious.

‘What have I done?’ Anthony thought.

***

Aurora on the other hand was surprisingly awake at her usual wake up time of six o’clock. She had a small headache and for a moment it seemed that she too would have no recollection of the conversation between herself and the eldest Bridgerton.

Sadly, this was not the case and within a few minutes of waking she had remembered - in some detail - the exact events of that fateful ball.

“Fuck!” she yelled as she sat in bed surrounded by her sheets. “What have I done!”

She raced downstairs still in her nightgown and found her brothers who were also early risers to be entering the dining room.

“What happened last night?” She grasped onto William and Julius’ arms, praying that her memory had been distorted.

It was in fact Alexander who first responded to her question.

“Whistledown seems to have explained it far better than we ever could. Perhaps you’d like her perspective on the matter?”

Aurora grabbed the society paper from Alexander’s hands and skimmed through it, her face turning pale as she took in its contents.

She looked up at the trio in absolute horror.

“What did he say?”

William gulped noticeably. “Perhaps you might save your questions for this afternoon. We’re paying a visit to Lady Bridgerton at Bridgerton House to discuss the - marriage.”

“Oh joy” commented Aurora sarcastically

*****

My school is beginning again virtually tomorrow and I'm honestly not in the mood.

I've got A Levels at the end of this year. Does anyone else have exams?