chapter nineteen - an explanation

The Bridgerton's were enjoying breakfast as a family when they were interrupted by a rather serious looking William Grey

"Anthony" William began, "is this a bad time? I should like to speak with you in private."

The table fell silent. The concern and stress that laced William's voice made the family uneasy.

Anthony put down his cutlery and rose from the table. "Yes, of course. Follow me."

"Is everything alright?" Questioned Benedict.

William glanced at Anthony before responding.

"I do not know."

***

Anthony had barely closed the door to his study when William started to speak.

"Viscount Bridgerton I have a terrible favour to ask of you."

"I will do anything, whatever is the matter?" Anthony replied worriedly.

"Do not say that. Not until you have heard what I am going to ask of you."

William paused and sat down in the chair beside Anthony's desk.

"You may wish to sit down."

Anthony glanced at him, becoming increasingly concerned before sitting down on the opposite side of his desk.

"Last night Lord Harding came to me request Aurora's hand."

"I am glad for him" said Anthony coldly, "they will make a great match."

"Please do not interrupt" snapped William. "Sorry, my Lord. That was rude."

"It's perfectly fine. Do continue."

"Lord Harding came to request Aurora's hand and I said no. Well, not in those exact words. To be brief, my Lord, I said she was already engaged - you must understand it was a tense situation - I said she was engaged... to you." William let out a breath of relief and looked up at Anthony, wary of his response.

"Engaged to me?"

"Yes." Whispered William.

"I see." There was a pause before Anthony started laughing. He laughed loudly and William looked at him incredulously.

Once Anthony had sobered up he looked William dead in the eye.

"Apologies Grey, not a week ago your sister resolutely declared that she would never marry me. I have no issue with such an arrangement and will do what it takes to maintain her honour. It is not a love match but she will be an ideal wife. I rather think the concern will be persuading her to take me."

William smiled, he looked greatly relieved "I am sure we can persuade her, I've tasked Julius with the job. I'm afraid there is still one small problem."

Anthony arched an eyebrow, "what now?"

"We may have told Harding that it was indeed a love match."

The Viscount shook his head, chuckling. "Oh now really you're being silly."

William only gulped.

Anthony's eyes widened. "You're serious! Why would that even come into discussion."

"In all honestly the whole affair is Julius' fault."

The two both chuckled. Anthony thought for a moment.

"I am willing to present it as a love match if she is. Not that I am in love with her. But if it makes things easier I suppose I can pretend."

William grinned broadly and stood up, "Bridgerton I will forever remain indebted to you."

"You have found me a wife. It is I who is indebted to you."

*****

Short chapter but it would seem that things are starting to really gain traction between A&A