chapter eighteen - a proposal of a different kind

Immediately following Reginald’s request, the three Grey brothers politely left the main hall where the Basset ball was behind held and retreated to Simon’s study - though not before William had had to opportunity to tell Hastings of the matter at...

Immediately following Reginald’s request, the three Grey brothers politely left the main hall where the Basset ball was behind held and retreated to Simon’s study - though not before William had had to opportunity to tell Hastings of the matter at hand.

Simon’s study was a highly traditional room, featuring several items of dark brown furniture and a broad fire which made the whole room glow a gentle orange, thus creating a usually tranquil atmosphere.

But this was certainly not felt by any of the Grey brothers upon entry into the room. They knew exactly what Reginald Harding wished to discuss in relation to their sister and they were not best please to say the least.

Reginald, who had been gazing out the window, turned to the trio.

“I shall not beat around the bush, my Lords. Your sister - the Lady Aurora Grey - has rather caught my eye. We are of similar social status, my father and yours are old friends, and I find her most agreeable. I would like to marry her, and so I am asking for you permission.”

And there is was. The question that William was so dreading. He knew that if he were to accept Lord Harding’s offer Aurora would never speak to him again, nor any of her brothers for that matter. She would not be happy. She would not be in love.

But the young Lord also knew that turning down such a proposal without good reason would be scandalous. He was, superficially, an excellent match. William deliberated for some time before choosing his words.

“Reginald, you and I are old friends. I owe it to you to be honest, and that is why I must tell you that I cannot let you marry my sister.”

Lord Harding took a step towards him, a look of pain crossing his features.

“Whyever not? My feelings for her are most genuine. I would make her happy.”

“My Lord, the fact of the matter is -“ began William, but he was interrupted by a hasty Julius.

“Aurora is already engaged. To Viscount Bridgerton. We did not make it public knowledge because we wanted to give them time to truly understand each other. It is a love match, and an ideal one too. I am most sorry that you were unaware of their affections.”

Reginald’s mouth hung open and the two Grey brothers turned to him with a look of utter confusion plastered across their faces. Alexander Grey was the first to regain himself.

“Yes, Julius is quite right. We do apologise for any upset this must have caused you. And if you might, perhaps, keep this secret between us?”

Reginald looked at the trio with embarrassment.

“Of course. I am sorry to have disturbed you. I would never have considered doing so bad I known.”

“Oh but how were you to know!” Exclaimed Julius. “Do not worry yourself. I am sure that if Aurora were not already engaged we would happily accept your offer. Is that not so brothers?”

William and Alexander choked, trying not to laugh at the absurdity of the situation.

“Absolutely right brother!” Chimed William.

“You are most honourable, my Lords. Now, I must return to the ball. Thank you.”

“No” smiled Julius, “thank you Lord Hastings, for your decency in the matter.”

Reginald left the room with little more than a nod goodbye, clearly very much embarrassed by the exchange.

He had not been gone five seconds before William turned to Julius.

“What the hell have you done!”

Julius turned to William with an incredulous look.

“What have I done? Will, if I had not acted sooner Aurora would be engaged to that man. I have no issues with Reginald but she would not have been happy with him.”

“And I suppose she will be happy with Anthony Bridgerton? I cannot think of two people less well suited!”

By now William had taken to pacing Simon’s study, a sure sign of his stress.

“If only you knew.” Smirked Julius under his breath.

“What?”

William halted his pacing and turned to the youngest Grey boy.

“Nothing brother.” Replied Julius hastily.

“What are we going to do?” Exclaimed William frantically.

Alexander, who had remained silent, finally chose to spoke up. Thus preventing the brothers from engaging in any kind of fight over Aurora’s honour.

“We are going to explain the situation in its entirety to the Viscount and pray that he accepts Aurora. We can always suggest that the engagement falls through.”

William was quick to see the flaw in Alexander’s plan.

“That would be ideal except Julius here declared it a love match.”

“What else was I meant to say!”

“You didn’t need to add in all the details. Had we not intervened you would probably have told him the very chapel they are to be married in!”

And so the two brothers had returned to their bickering. It took all of Alexander’s strength not to shout at them.

“Brother calm down.”

Thankfully Simon Basset chose this moment to appear, knocking on the door to his study before opening it. Alexander muttered a ‘thank god’ under his breath before turning to the man.

“Simon, we have something of a problem.”

“Yes, so I’ve heard. You ought to keep you voices down you are lucky that no one else overheard your - situation.”

William sat down on the armchair by the fireplaces and sighed heavily, pinching the bridge between his eyes.

“Simon you must help us. I have no idea what to do.”

Simon merely walked to his cabinet and pulled out a glass and a tumble of whilskey. He proved some into the glass and handed it to William.

“I should think the matter quite easy to resolve. William, as head of the Grey family you will accompany me to Bridgerton House tomorrow morning. There, we will call upon Anthony Bridgerton and, as Alexander has suggested, tell him the truth of the matter. Bridgerton may be something of a rake but he is in search of a wife and will undoubtably accept your offer. He may be a rake but he is not a monster.”

“Very well.” William agreed before downing the shot of whiskey.

*****

By heavens! This must be the longest chapter I have written so far.

I highly recommend reading it to the Bridgerton cover of Girls Like You as this is what I was listening to when I wrote the chapter.

As always, I sincerely hope you are well!

Love
V x