chapter thirty - maternal guidance

After spending much of the day in Miss Godwin’s company, Aurora was now relaxed in one of the window seats of her uncle’s library that overlooked Grosvenor Square. She had found herself a blanket and, after requesting a large mug of hot cocoa, had comfortably situated herself there and gotten down to the task of reading Pride and Prejudice.

She had just reached Mr. Collins’ proposal to Elizabeth when the door to the library creaked open to reveal her mother dressed in a pale lilac nightgown.

“I thought I would find you here, my child. Is there any room for me?”

Aurora smiled and shuffled up, allowing her mother to sit down on the seat as well.

“How have you found London? It’s been quite some time since we last came.”

“It has been pleasant, although I much prefer Chillingham” came Aurora’s reply as she put down her novel on a cherry wood table nearby.

“It has not been the same without the four of you, much quieter. And the ghosts do not show themselves so frequently.”

Aurora laughed for it was widely known across the North that Chillingham Castle was one of the most haunted places in England, and consequently, the world.

“Well, it must be nice for the help to not be frightened out of their wits at least twice a week.”

The mother smiled at the remark and Aurora was reminded of the immense beauty she held. Her mother was a woman with such talent and power, of which Aurora had always been in awe. Perhaps that is why her and Lady Danbury had always gotten along so well - they were so very similar.

“I was told the particulars of your engagement to the Viscount this morning. I can now understand your cool temperament toward Julius.” Lady Grey was cautious around the subject.

“Yes, I dare say I shall forgive him but not for some time. I am quite good at holding a grudge and he most certainly deserves it. I need not tell you I was furious at the news.”

Her mother leaned over and started undoing her hair, brushing it through with her fingers. The feeling calmed Aurora greatly.

“You have every right to be mad, what he did was not fair. On either of you.”

There was a pause as Lady Grey allowed her words to sink in.

“Have you asked the Viscount how he feels?”

Aurora suddenly felt guilty.

“No.” Her response was little more than a whisper.

“I am sure he must feel quite confused. But he must be a decent man - to have agreed to the match.” Marie Grey studied her daughter closely as she spoke, attempting to discover something of her feelings toward the man.

“Perhaps. I remember Daphne telling me before we had met that Lord Bridgerton had once declared to her he would never marry for love. I suppose he was in luck really, for I know he will never love me.”

The last sentence was spoken significantly quieter. So much so that her mother nearly missed it.

A pitying expression crossed her face. “You think he will never love you, child? I am sure it cannot be so.”

“You have not met him mama! He despises me! In fact, I can’t remember the last time I saw him smile in my presence. No indeed, I do not think he will ever love me and - and I hate it. That was all I wanted, someone who would love me.”

The young woman had tears in her eyes as she finished her emotional rant. She had felt unable to truly express her feelings on the subject to anyone until her mother had arrived.

Of course, she had spoken several times to Simon but even he was not aware of the true extent of her pain.

Her pain which was made so very much worse by the fact that she felt herself falling in love with the Bridgerton. Every day that passed she found him more and more appealing. She would have been excited at the prospect of their marriage had she not been aware of his contempt for her.

She voiced this to her mother who demanded that she see it for herself.

For the countess did not believe for one second what her daughter had said. No, she was quite certain that the Viscount was equally as in love with Aurora as she was with him.

*****

I’ve just come to the conclusion that I really need to sought out a schedule for when I update because I keep on updating chapters to this book and forgetting to write chapters for the other two. It’s becoming rather problematic.

Anyway, here’s a nice little interaction between Aurora and her mother. I have to say I really like the female relationships within Bridgerton because they’re all so empowering so I’ve kind of mirrored that here.

Love,

V x