chapter thirty seven - the reception

Following the official church service, Aurora and Anthony made their way back to Bridgerton House by carriage. This was where the reception ceremony and meal was to be held and Aurora, who was yet to see the House all decorated, waited in anticipation for them to arrive.

Despite their initial few words at the end of the ceremony, the newlyweds did not speak a word throughout the journey there. The Viscount was concerned about saying the wrong thing and ruining the rest of the day, whilst the new Viscountess was unsure about how to start a conversation with him.

Considering Anthony's apparent unwillingness to chat, Aurora felt it was best if she did not interrupt whatever train of thought was running through his head.

So instead she sat opposite him and simply contemplated her new found position as Viscountess. In all the hectic atmosphere that had surrounded the past month, she had not had the opportunity to properly sit down with her mother - of Lady Bridgerton - to discuss what exactly a Viscountess did.

Whatever it was, Aurora desperately hoped that she might still be able to continue in her education. She knew that the topic must be addressed at some point relatively soon, however, today did not seem like the right time to do so. Besides, technically it was still summer and all the universities were on break anyway.

With these thoughts running through her head, she was surprised when the carriage pulled to a stop outside Bridgerton House, jolting her forward so that she nearly fell of her seat.

'How embarrassing,' she thought as her face flushed a deep red.

Anthony attempted to conceal a chuckle at how his new wife had been unfortunately broken from her thoughts. Upon realising that this was not the most gentlemanly of reactions, he held out his hand to steady her.

But alas, Aurora Bridgerton had already heard the laughter and was more than a little offended. Instead of taking his hand she playfully glared at him and strode out of the carriage toward the house.

"Idiot," Anthony muttered to himself before following in her tracks. Their marriage was not off to a great start.

It did not take him long to reach her and, by the time they had arrived at the open front doors, they had fallen into step with each other. The previous teazing tiff forgotten.

The reception rooms and entrance hall was already filled with members of the ton who were eager to convey their congratulations to the couple - either that or they were simply dying to escape the cathedral.

Regardless, there was a jubilant atmosphere which made Aurora feel more excited about her new marriage. She knew that, at the very least, today would be a day she would recall with fond memories.

"Aurora you're here!" Daphne called as she made her way through the crowd to reach her. Aurora saw Eleanor Hayward following behind and felt comforted at the sight of her two most dear friends.

She knew she could rely on them to deal with any mishaps that might occur throughout the day.

"Have you seen Louisa Crowford today?" Whispered Eleanor into her ear, "I thought your bridal gown was stunning but clearly she felt most determined to put do you!"

The three girls giggled at Eleanor's lack of subtlety, sparing quick glanced at Miss Crowford who did indeed seem to be wearing nothing short than a bridal gown of her own.

"Perhaps it is an attempt to make Mr. Whick offer her a proposal. Although I do not think it likely considering his present attachment to a particular young Lord."

"Daphne!" Exclaimed Aurora as quietly as she could, "you cannot make such accusations!"

"It's not an accusation if it's true," remarked Eleanor slyly.

The new Viscountess was about to make a response when she was interrupted by Benedict and Colin Bridgerton.

"Have you seen Waterstone's gift to you yet Aurora?" Came Benedict's inquisitive voice.

"Waterstone? Who is Waterstone?" Daphne glanced between the two, a look of confusion on her face.

"You haven't heard of Waterstone?" Asked Benedict astounded, "He's London's very own secret artist. His works are worth a fortune!"

"Yes, and our brother here seems quite determined to reveal to poor painter. Why can't you just appreciate his work?"

Benedict turned to Colin and began a long speech about the intellect and wisdom that he could receive from the "master painter".

Aurora could not help but notice that Miss Hayward had suddenly fallen silent, whether that was due to the direction of the conversation or the presence of a certain Bridgerton remained undetermined. Perhaps it was a little of both. Regardless, Aurora kept her thoughts to herself, unwilling to interrogate the girl about such a delicate matter until they were in privacy.

Alas, she did not have long to contemplate the matter anyway as the group were approached by a rather stern looking Lady Danbury.

"Shouldn't you be mingling with your guests instead of debating mysterious persons, Lady Bridgerton? Your husband looks to be quite struggling all alone."

Aurora sighed and discreetly rolled her eyes at the telling off she had received from her godmother.

Benedict's comment did not improve the situation.

"I'm not sure Aurora's presence will make him feel any happier, Lady Danbury. Or maybe it will since he's become quite infat-"

The boy was shut up by a whack of Lady Danbury's cane toward his leg. He grunted as it made contact with him and his eyes widened significantly.

"That hurt," was his rather petulant response to the which Miss Hayward snorted loudly.

"Oh it hardly even touched you, boy! Besides, I hope you've learned you lesson to keep your mouth shut in the future." She raised an eyebrow at him.

"I best leave you all now, I think. For I just made eye contact with Lady Cowper and so I expect she will wish to speak with me. I shall find you later Daphne, Eleanor."

And with that, the new Bridgerton was enveloped by the crowd.

*****

Not too much happens here but the two are soon to begin their married life together! I personally cannot think of anything worse!

Yours truly
Valentina x