chapter thirty eight - Daphne explains

Aurora Bridgerton had not had a moment's rest ever since she had entered the reception at Bridgerton House

Aurora Bridgerton had not had a moment's rest ever since she had entered the reception at Bridgerton House. Members of the ton seemed to flow endlessly toward her, providing rehearsed comments about her gown, or the ceremony, or her future role as the Viscountess.

She had taken most with good grace, but upon being told for the thirteenth time that afternoon that she looked "most becoming in your bridal gown", Aurora's fuse was more than ready to blow.

Therefore, when she caught Daphne's eye, she was more than ready to make her escape - even though her new husband would undoubtedly get annoyed at her later.

Politely ending her conversation with Sir Lucas, Aurora made her way determinedly toward Daphne and, upon reaching her, they both snuck out of the room and bounded up the stairs to Anthony's study.

Daphne closed the door, looking first to check that no one else had seen them. She was sure that they would quickly miss Aurora downstairs but first she hoped to discuss certain matters with her before they were dragged back.

She turned to look at her new sister and found Aurora stood by the now open dresser, pulling open a bottle of wine and drinking it straight from the source.

Daphne stared at her with her moth agape, shocked at the girl's rebellious behaviour.

After some time Aurora put down the bottle and wiped her mouth. "Do not judge me, Daphne. Please." There was a sincerity in her voice that pained Daphne a little, for it was clear to her that Aurora was not excited at the prospect of her new life.

"I would never judge you. But there is something I would like to talk to you about. Perhaps you might take a seat?"

Daphne had anticipated her moving across the room to one of the armchairs by the now empty fireplace, however, Aurora instead stalked over to the Viscount's chair behind his desk and threw herself down into it.

Daphne only chuckled at her insolence. It was obvious her brother was in for quite a battle of a marriage

"Go on then Daff, what it is you who's to discuss with me?"

"What has your mother told you of marital relations?" Her voice came out a little less confident than she had hoped for.

Aurora only laughed loudly in response. It took her a moment to gather herself.

"Daphne Bridgerton! I didn't think I'd ever have this conversation with you." She smirked before continuing, "my mother had told me absolutely nothing. By my brothers? They have filled me in on all the details. Do not worry, I am quite aware of what occurs after dark."

"It isn't always after dark," mumbled Daphne. She did not think Aurora had heard but, by the girl's loud gasp, she figured she must have.

"You are terrible!"

The elder girl blushed before she replied, "I had no idea that such matters were discussed among society."

"Yes, but you forget, Daphne, that I am from the barbaric lands of the North where such conversation is most regular indeed." Aurora's voice was think with sarcasm as she made light of the assumptions many southerners made of those from whence she came.

"Well I am glad. I was never told of such things and it put something of a strain upon my marriage at first, I hope you will not face such difficulties."

The ping Viscountess but her lip nervously, uncertain of speaking her mind.

"Do you think he will make me do it tonight?" Her tone had become serious, all previous humour long gone.

"Is that not what you want?"

Daphne was worried for her friend. She did not want anything to occur that might hurt her.

"No - well, Julius told me it should be an act of love and, to be frank with you, I do not love him yet."

Daphne moved around the desk and came behind her, putting her arms over the girl to hug her in comfort.

"I will talk to Anthony if you should like. He is a decent man, he will not force anything until you are ready."

"No!" Aurora's response was abrupt. "No, I do not want to make things awkward or uncomfortable for him."

"I will not make it so, I promise. I only wish to prevent you recommending being made to do something you do not want to. That would not be fair."

The young girl smiled at her friends, she s was so glad that she had someone so decent who was willing to protect her and fight for her happiness. Daphne was so much than Whistledown described her. She was smart, passionate, wise, determined, and kind. Aurora could not have asked for for a better friend.

*****

Side note: one of my friends has started selling wall collages on depop (she's done Dark Academia, Cottagecore, Beachy, and will probably do custom ones too) her username is @midnightadams so do have a look if that kind of thing interests you!

So Anthony and Aurora will finally be able to go on their Honeymoon in the next chapter - or will they? We shall have to see.

Sorry this chapter is rather short - my Latin tutor has had me completing extra sessions and I have been swamped in work all day!

Yours forever

Valentina x